cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

10 more sets of automotive doppelgängers | Hagerty Media

A year ago, we assembled 20 pairs of cars that looked a lot-or at least somewhat-alike. Many of these cars were separated by decades, or by continents, while others were direct competitors with each other in period. Some of our pairings were more well-received than others, but many in the Hagerty Community became interested enough to offer up their own suggestions.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/10-more-sets-of-automotive-doppelgangers/
111 REPLIES 111
buellerdan
Intermediate Driver

Is that a Ford coupe? Looks like a two door sedan. Love the Frenched headlights.
PetervonA2
Pit Crew

I suspect that one of America’s greatest automotive icons, the +/- 1965 Mustang, was conceived during one of Lee Iacocca’s regular visits to the Turin Auto Show.

Maserati’s 3500 Vignale Spyder could not have escaped his admiration then sparked his concept for an exciting derivative from the Falcon.

I parked mine next to a Mustang convertible. Their silhouettes were identical, and their faces look like they had the same fathers to me.

Americans kept Lee’s secret, not wanting to believe their pony car was not legitimate.
DrHess
New Driver

The new Corvette looks a whole lot like an Evora.

The 98-2000 Lexus LS400 looks just like the same year big Mercedes sedan.
georgiahoosier
New Driver

Although a lot different in size, I've always thought the 1950 Studebaker line was influenced by the "big news" car of the day; the Tucker Torpedo.
It wouldn't surprise me since Ray Loewy and Alex Tremulis were contemporaries and I can see the brass at Studebaker wanting a product that would look like the future of automobiles but at a lower price point.
Soneat715
New Driver

Iv'e always thought my 68 Saab Sonett and especially the later Sonett III was the inperation for the 240 Z.
mikejensen
New Driver

I recently saw a Ferrari 250 GTE parked next to a Fiat 1500 coupe (1964). They definitely share some Pininfarina DNA.

Patrician
Intermediate Driver

Nobody would ever confuse a Hudson Jet for a 53 Ford. The dimension on the Jet were just disproportional. It has however been stated many times the Volvo pv444 is a copy of a 1948 Ford.
BossGreg
Intermediate Driver

70's Celica liftback to the 69/70 Mustang/Shelby sports roof . Mustang tail lights and 69-70Shelby/71-73 Mustang Grill etc.
mpzz
Detailer

Yes, that comparo is included all right, in the first 20.
joefo
Pit Crew

As an owner of a 1987 Bertone (Fiat) X-1/9, I constantly get people thinking it is a Triumph TR-7. I suppose it could be called worse...
Spudsly
Intermediate Driver

Goes to show you cannot trust some communities. The T-Bird and beamer are not even close on any quarter panel. And the Bird is a way cleaner design.
tberg
Pit Crew

Probably the two most similar looking cars ever, especially from a side profile view are the X150 Jaguar XK/XKR and the Aston DB9. Both cars were Ian Callum designs, and if you didn't see the front and rear fascias and just looked at them from the side, you'd have trouble distinguishing between the two.
tberg
Pit Crew

DB9 vs XKR.jpg

Radar
Pit Crew

Too many articles mostly featuring foreign cars.
Lrac
New Driver

Perhaps if you squint really, really hard……… a few look close!!
tm48
New Driver

That Ford sedan's roofline is nothing like a coupe. I guess the author has never seen a 42-48 Ford coupe.
TimK
Detailer

The 1976-77 Toyota Celica Liftback was almost pure plagiarism of the 1969-70 Mustang Fastback.
mpzz
Detailer

Check the first list of twenty.
wframe
New Driver

1956 Ford T-Bird and the early (series 1 & 2) Sunbeam Alpine. The T-Bird is considerably larger, but the lines are very similar.
PePe-LePu_For_2
New Driver

What about the Fiat X19 and the original base Fiero?
BossGreg
Intermediate Driver

Maverick and todays Charger 4 Door Side profile
mpzz
Detailer

Uh.... NO.
MustangJim
Detailer

Thanks for this and keep it coming! I had never seen a NSU Prinz, it does look like a Corvair! I had never seen an Auto Union 1000 SP before either. It looks just like a baby bird! And everyone accuse the Japanese of copying, all manufacturers do that and for good reason. Some time ago there was a 53-54 Hudson Jet near where I live, I'd call it a barn find but this was just an old rusted car sitting amongst many others with weeds and trees growing all around it. Now, I know what a Hudson was but I thought it was a Ford, actually argued with a friend of mine who insisted it was a Hudson. Man did I have egg on my face. I slowed down for a better look and yes, it was a Hudson! I felt dumb because when it comes to domestic cars from the 50's on I am seldom wrong.
JohnnyD
Intermediate Driver

Ford's General Sales Manager in the early 1960s, Lee Iococa, commented a couple times to historians that the 1953 Studebaker Starlight hardtop with its close coupled seating, long hood, short deck, and the pressed-in contour on the sides of the 53 were design elements that he brought to the attention of the 64 Mustang design team. A 53-55 Studebaker coupe or hardtop parked beside a 64-65 mustang at shows, always incites endless verbal comparison.
roadio55
Intermediate Driver

When I was growing up in the early 1970's, we always referred to the Volvo 444 as the one that looked like a an old Ford. I had a neighbor who was restoring various Volvo's at that time. The Corvair and the NSU really made me do a double take.
TonyT
Instructor

Jeep CJ-5 and a Mahindra Roxor? First-gen Land Rover and a Willy's MB? Chevy HHR and a PT Cruiser? The original Barris Batmobile and a Lincoln Premier? (nod, nod, wink, wink) 67-68 Datsun roadster and an MG-B? The now-retired space shuttle and the Russian Buran? The similarities are endless!
DUB6
Technician

Me and Brad Pitt?  Oh, I guess the similarities are NOT endless...

jymz162
New Driver

How about the obvious. 1965 Renault Caravel and Tesla.
AudEot
New Driver

I missed the first list so maybe this was mentioned….ford 500 and Audi A6, 1998 vintage
BigMikes
Pit Crew

International Scout/ Ford Bronco The Scout was first.
craigh
Pit Crew

A pair of doppelgängers you missed is the Ferrari Dino and the Porsche 904. Their side profiles are uncanny.
Wally437
New Driver

1976 Toyota GT and 1965 Mustang 2+2 Fastback.
97Cobra
Intermediate Driver

I* see no resemblance in the T Bird and the BMW or the P5 and Chrysler... otherwise a good read.
craigh
Pit Crew

The photos chosen here do not reflect the similarity at all.  However when you view the cars from the side profile the similarity becomes quite obvious. I have owned 2 BMW 635s and had people ask me if they were T-Birds, so this is not the first time I have seen or heard the two compared.

lepiane
Pit Crew

How about the Edsel and?.... Whoops, too many beers.
mpzz
Detailer

The front of the Edsel looks kind of like Michael Jackson post-nose job.
Zephyr
Advanced Driver

The first car I ever drove was our 53 Hudson Jet. Ours was actually a Super Jet - two sidedraft carburetors on a 4 cylinder, a 3 speed manual and Borg-Warner (?) gas pedal actuated overdrive - as in "took my foot off the gas and man alive, I shoved it on down into overdrive!" At roughly the same time our neighbor had a Volvo 444. I always thought the design inspiration for the rear end was a whale.
02-orignal-ownr
Detailer

Although they're vastly different in size, a Renault 4CV (final prototype was finished in early 1946) and a '48 Chevy notchback 4 door sedan. Similar "alligator" hood, flat-top fenders with the headlights faired in, front fenders curving into the front doors, similarly-shaped rear fenders and rear window. In silhouette the resemblance is startling, particularly when you compare the final 4CV design that saw production to the first prototype, developed during WWII (in secret). It looked like an ugly Volkswagen beetle.
Microbob_1984
Pit Crew

How about the 1971 Maserati Quattroporte AM 121 versus the 1972 through 1975 Opel 1900 and Manta, especially the front clip? Discuss.
RichH
Detailer

roma.jpgGo ahead, tell me the Ferrari Roma isn't a copy of my NB Miata, but with a fixed roof.

mercuryfree
New Driver

The Jaguar XK of the mid ‘60s can easily be seen in the 240Z
TheGuy
New Driver

So you don’t know why the infinity and the Nissan look alike? Really you don’t know why? You guys a real car guys?
oldcardoc
Pit Crew

I have noticed that if Hudson was to exist it needed to come up to speed on design and I think that if today they were still in business they probably would look like every other car on the road with that Japan design look or European look . I prefer the Good Old USA look when car could be spotted in a lousy picture their make and model and until the 80's and 90's car took on a look alike appearance in pretty much the same breakaway mold it seems like. Why designers commit to the new look is beyond me and it also seems like they want everything to look like it came from the future or some kids toy box of discarded cheap plastic toys .
F360Spider
Detailer

Opel GT and the Ferrari 246GT Dino. That's what got me into Opels. Had a string of them back in the late 70's. Still can't afford a Dino though. Maybe someday. Until then, I'll just have to suffer with my gated 360 Spider.

Gated Ferrari 360 Spider in Azzurro California / CremaGated Ferrari 360 Spider in Azzurro California / Crema

Tomwas
Intermediate Driver

Just saw one of those auto unions this morning At a cars and coffee in Westchester county new York. Sweet little three cylinder car... Baby t bird for sure...
CJB3
New Driver

1960 Pontiac and 1961 Dodge Lancer (front view only)

MartyK
New Driver

Did anyone else notice that the 42-48 Ford two-door sedan was mislabeled as a coupe.
suprarossa
Pit Crew

2nd generation Celica Supra (especially in silver) and the DMC DeLorean
chrlsful
Instructor

dat's nuttin, man!
What freaks me is when they cross eras. Wish I could find some pairs for that. Seem to remember a few as its so shocking.
Just like music and lots of the other arts (& car styles R art, no?) there can B seen a flow, era, similarity with different car designs. The late 50s/early 60s Italian body styles, the Taurus ('coke bottle') we R still a lill under currently, late 30s (well, some similarity w/the almost female forms of the afore mentioned Italian), 'square' 80s, straight line early 60s, bulge-mobiles of the ti-five era...
mpzz
Detailer

I can't believe that the Pontiac Solstice and the Jaguar XKE didn't make either list. The resemblance is obvious, and I find it hard to believe that Pontiac didn't sell a lot more Solstices than they did, despite the uninspiring engine. I zipped over some country roads many years ago in a Datsun 1600 roadster and there's nothing that's much more fun than driving over hill and dale in a small sports car.