cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

10 (more) masterful Pontiac ads from Fitzpatrick and Kaufman

Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood. They don’t call ’em power couples for nothing. And when it comes to automotive art, Art Fitzpatrick and Van Kaufman were the undisputed kings of 1960s advertising.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/10-more-masterful-pontiac-ads-from-fitzpatrick-and-...

65 REPLIES 65
Passenger

The pictures brought back a lot of good memories and feelings from that era in my life.

thank you 

Detailer

Love the 70 Trans Am ad. 70-73, in my opinion are the best looking for the entire model run.

Pit Crew

wouldn't be cool to have this assortment of real Pontiacs in your garage?...they all look so wide...which was the Pontiac "wide track" promotions...the '61 Bonneville bubble top is one of best full size stying efforts followed closely by GTO's and Firebirds...how sad that GM cancelled the brand when it was the one of the major showroom draws for new customers...

Pit Crew

The advantage of using an illustration is the ability to slightly "cheat" the size of the car in relation to to the people. This is something that made Volkswagon's "realistic" photo ads so refreshing back in the 60's.

New Driver

The years from 1961 to 1963 produced some of the most gorgeous cars in Detroit history, just about all of them, from all the mfrs. Especially 1963............ Ford, Chevy, Pontiac, even the Chrysler brands.

Passenger

I didn't know the honeycombs were an option in 1970 on a Trans Am?

They came on my '73 SD TA when I owned it back throughout the 80's though.

Still have a color copy of the title, 5th digit's an X.

Passenger

Stunning imagery by the masters.  I've always wanted to know Fitzpatrick's technique.  Was it done in gouache or acrylics?  Was any of it airbrushed?  There is a lot of highly skilled brushwork going on in the paintings.  Can anyone give me links that may go into detail on his technique?  Thanks!

New Driver

It is my understanding that due to the advertising that AF VK did, the goverment took Pontiac to court for faults advertising. Making the cars look wider and, longer Then they are . Your right they where great at what they did. Wide-Track caused the problem . Maybe???

New Driver

That's a 1971 Trans Am. High-back buckets and Honeycomb wheels tell the tale.