cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 (more) masterful Pontiac ads from Fitzpatrick and Kaufman

Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood. They don’t call ’em power couples for nothing. And when it comes to automotive art, Art Fitzpatrick and Van Kaufman were the undisputed kings of 1960s advertising.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/10-more-masterful-pontiac-ads-from-fitzpatrick-and-...

Replies (50)

Replies (50)

Notice how fine the c-pillar on the Bonneville, Georgetown.  Could not do that today...  

New Driver

Which guy painted the art after the car and people were drawn? That is truly the artwork that makes these special. 

Passenger

You've just gotta' love a Safari wagon with 8-lug wheels and a vinyl top! Where is that car today?

Passenger

I had never seen the last three from the 70s. I recognized the style from the Pontiac ads in my Dad's old National Geographics [ a car ad lover's dream, BTW ].

Mercury copied this for it's 65 and 66 models "In The Lincoln Continental Tradition": glamorous places, action, sleek expensive looking settings and of course Mercury out front. A blatant imitation but more fun for lovers of car ads who get amped by advertising hype and the "selling of the dream".

Great piece.

Pit Crew

I would appreciate a series on the early GTO's with the tiger ads.

Specifically 1965 Nightwatch Blue convertible with tripower, 4 speed. I bought this car in Pennsylvania, found out it had a 421 in it, not the original 389.

Unfortunately the big bank fiasco in 2008 caught me unaware and I had to sell it. 

Too bad.  

Passenger

Wow!  Lots of wonderful memories there.  Beautiful art work, Gorgeous cars and the backgrounds are amazing.  I much preferred driving in snow with rear wheel drive than the front wheel drive cars.  Go into a skid, steer the opposite direction and the wheels would bite and straighten you right out - no problem!  (Lots more fun doing a 380 turn on ice also! )

Passenger

Rescued my '70 GTO convertible 28 years ago and it is still going strong. Still popular at local shows because of all the factory options it has.

Passenger

The Silver Firebird is the luxurious "Esprit" version; the blue and white Firebird is the "Trans-Am" version. Each reflects the character an Owner may wish to reflect, yet both are sporty and attractive looking!  Superb ads!  Fabulous article!

Passenger

Notice the cowboy talking on his cellphone in the "Roundup" illustration for the '68 Executive Safari. Fitzpatrick and Kaufman really were ahead of their time!

Pit Crew

The 70 Trans Am is actually a 71 model.  Both the honeycomb wheels and highback bucket seats give it away.  The 70 TA was the only second gen with lowback buckets and separate headrests.  The years that it took me to find a missing headrest for my 70 TA won't let me forget that detail.

Passenger

I can't imagine trying to go skiing in a GTO.

New Driver

Of all the vehicles I have owned, I miss the 68 Ventura the most - Verde Green with a white vinyl top.  Would almost trade my 67 GTO convertible for one, well maybe not.

New Driver

These two gentlemen set the bar for automotive rendering. Every aspiring designer during that era used the AF/VK renderings as inspiration and source material. www.fitz-art.com

Passenger

Beautiful. Wish there was a 65 GTO ad.... 😉

Navigator

Great read 

I can’t wait to pull my Canadian 1962 Pontiac Laurentian out of storage..  

Passenger

It is my understanding that due to the advertising that AF VK did, the goverment took Pontiac to court for faults advertising. Making the cars look wider and, longer Then they are . Your right they where great at what they did. Wide-Track caused the problem . Maybe???

New Driver

That's a 1971 Trans Am. High-back buckets and Honeycomb wheels tell the tale.

New Driver

Stunning imagery by the masters.  I've always wanted to know Fitzpatrick's technique.  Was it done in gouache or acrylics?  Was any of it airbrushed?  There is a lot of highly skilled brushwork going on in the paintings.  Can anyone give me links that may go into detail on his technique?  Thanks!

Passenger

The advantage of using an illustration is the ability to slightly "cheat" the size of the car in relation to to the people. This is something that made Volkswagon's "realistic" photo ads so refreshing back in the 60's.

Pit Crew

wouldn't be cool to have this assortment of real Pontiacs in your garage?...they all look so wide...which was the Pontiac "wide track" promotions...the '61 Bonneville bubble top is one of best full size stying efforts followed closely by GTO's and Firebirds...how sad that GM cancelled the brand when it was the one of the major showroom draws for new customers...

Pit Crew