cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

10 (more) masterful Pontiac ads from Fitzpatrick and Kaufman

Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood. They don’t call ’em power couples for nothing. And when it comes to automotive art, Art Fitzpatrick and Van Kaufman were the undisputed kings of 1960s advertising.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/10-more-masterful-pontiac-ads-from-fitzpatrick-and-...

65 REPLIES 65
Detailer

You would have just about needed a station wagon to haul around what passed for a car phone in 1968. It was a radio phone and the radio portion of it pretty much filled up the trunk of a full sized car. Beautiful ads. 

Pit Crew

such a shame GM killed Pontiac....They sure did build excitement!  

Pit Crew

One of my favorite drag "stock" cars at Indianapolis Raceway Park back in the day, was a perfect black 1961 Catalina hardtop with a 4 speed manual tranny that put a lot of others on the towbar or trailer.  The guy never missed a shift that I know of.

I've always loved the styling of the 2nd Gen Firebirds, especially the 70-73, but, in full disclosure, I'm rather biased. I have a 1973 brewster green TA SD 455, A/C, M22 close-ratio, tilt, deluxe saddle interior, rear nerf bars, 8-track that I ordered new from the factory in March, 1973 and it's telling me it needs to come out and play soon. The only modifications I have made over the years was a full repaint in 1997 and to replace the original diaphram clutch when it calved many years ago with a Hays Borg & Beck clutch. 

New Driver

Fitz-Van did amazing work.  I've got a 1965 Chrysler brochure done by them.  They enhanced the vehicles by making them appear lower and wider.  Despite their amazing skills, Jim Wanger did not feel this was the way to market the new GTO.  He much preferred actual photos.  I'm sure if he had his way the cars would be doing burnouts!

Passenger

The article says that you rarely see a Catalina at Pebble Beach, and you didn't this time, either. If you look at the front fender, it's obviously a Ventura, not a Catalina. My dad used to have a 68 Catalina that I drove when I was in high school. Had a 400 and a four barrel. Good times!

New Driver

I liked the '59 Pontiac fins. But I can't agree the 1959 Cadillac fins were "arguably the best of all time". I didn't like them in 1959 and still don't like them. Also, at the Beloit, WI Autorama several years ago, one of them attacked me and caused bleeding on the back of my hand!

Intermediate Driver

Intermediate Driver

Not a real ad. Someone is fooling with us all. 

Intermediate Driver

Been a fan of Van and Fitz since I re-discovered them in the early 80's. I was in university at the time studying commercial art, I tried to copy their style whenever I had illustration assignments. Later in life, I've owned a string of Pontiacs and have my kids hooked on them too. Great stuff.