cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

10 monster muscle machines crossing the block this January | Hagerty Media

For muscle car fans, the auctions in Scottsdale, Arizona and Kissimmee, Florida that happen each January are all but a required pilgrimage. At least once in a lifetime, you must walk the rows of muscle cars that seem to stretch for miles. Unfortunately for many would-be travelers, 2021 will be a little different.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/10-monster-muscle-machines-crossing-the-block-this-january/
77 REPLIES 77
Rob1
Instructor

429 Boss Mustang would be my first choice.Cheers R
StanF512
Pit Crew

Either of the 2 Mustangs or the Judge would be my first choice. The GT350 would probably be my first choice, then the Judge, then the Boss.
Quincydubois
Intermediate Driver

Monte Carlo? Seriously? How about the 1970 GSX that is ‘going up’? Or the SS/AMX? Real muscle.
TinCanSailor
Intermediate Driver

35 years ago, I had a Monte Carlo SS454, 4 speed and it wasn't a car to by trifled with. essentially a luxo version of the Chevelle. It was quite a sleeper and I really wish I had kept it...

... and my Road Runner, and my Challenger, and my Mustang GT, and my Impala SS Convertible, and my Jag XK120. If I got my wish, I'd need a MUCH larger garage, but also positioned well for retirement! 🙂
Greg_I
Advanced Driver

@TinCanSailor I own a 69 Grand Prix 400/350hp. Same experience as your Monte Carlo. Very quick car and surprises a lot of people who drive it for the first time.

MisterTorgue
Intermediate Driver

@Quincydubois Why not? Big block Monte Carlos are awesome and nobody talks about them. But opinions man, you know what they say about them...

Tsaxman
Detailer

"On which monster muscle car would you bid?" There, I fixed that headline.
jbucking
New Driver

Definately the 1969 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 COPO. I like muscle cars that don't look like muscle cars. Looking for a 1963/64 Chevy Biscayne (dog dish hubcaps, bench seat, base trim) with a 409 / 425hp now...
gfviperman
Intermediate Driver

440 'Cuda Convertible!!! ... accept no substitute!!!
VA-Apraisr
Pit Crew

Just curious, but always hear "noted to have 400hp but this was very understated" when talking about the giant motors in these beauties. Question: Has no one in the past 50 years not done a dyno test to nail down the real numbers?? And, yes, understand this could lead to a dyno bomb which would be devastating. But, this is why I'm not a collector; if I can't drive/use it hard, it ain't for me.
Sajeev
Community Manager

Nobody dynos their cars because ignorance is bliss. 

Ragtop69
Intermediate Driver

If you look at the quarter mile performance of most of these "brutes" from back in the day, you would be sorely disappointed. Most of these big, bad cars ran in the very low 14's to the mid 13's. Respectable for a modern Japanese family sedan.  My '69 Mustang convertible ran a 14.308 @ 99.1 mph at the local drag strip some years back.  Not bad for a mildly modified SB Ford and actually competitive with some of the "monster" cars back in the day.

Billthecat707
Detailer

and every dynamic gives out different numbers depending on brand,location,weather,etc.
Billthecat707
Detailer

Dyno- stupid auto correct.
TinCanSailor
Intermediate Driver

Hemmings dyno tested an L88 with a factory rated 435 horsepower The engine actually put out about 575 horsepower.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/ratified#&gid=1&pid=2
Greg_I
Advanced Driver

I would love to see more tests of actual horsepower. I think most muscle car owners would be pretty disappointed. But for cars like the Ram Air IV, I would love to confirm that the 4hp difference between them and the Ram Air III is as bogus as I suspect.

avideo
Intermediate Driver

Muscle car? I am placing an order for a 2021 Corvette Convertible later this week - and it already has 495 Horsepower - more than enough for me. Besides, I already have a 1969 Shelby GT350 Fastback in the garage as well as a 300 HP 1966 Corvette convertible with factory AC!
I have ZERO envy of anyone with a muscle car. In fact, most are rarely driven. And the number of places you can legally drive them at speed are getting harder to find all the time.
tahend
Detailer

Typical Corvette owner.
RobertLLR
Intermediate Driver

Especially one would allow anything as ugly as the 2020 version in his driveway. (But, I gotta admit: I'd take a nice, 1956-57--if I could afford one.)
MisterTorgue
Intermediate Driver

@avideoI don't mind that you aren't a muscle car fan. In fact many of my car friends have zero interest in them. But could you please explain how not having the place to drive a muscle car at speed is any different from a place you'd drive a new Corvette at speed? I'm a bit lost.

MotorManMark
Intermediate Driver

Well the days of ripping up the streets are long gone ...
They're all nice, the Mustangs are sweet but the COPO is Boss!!!

That being said, I pick either the 1970 Chevelle or Cuda mainly for the drop top.

77GL
Intermediate Driver

The Cuda of course. Infinitely more charisma in any of the originals over today's repops.
Aquay_Mizmo
Intermediate Driver

I'm happy to see the Monte Carlo getting some love. I have a big block silver '72 that I may have to take it to the next level if they actually become valuable.
cestor01
Intermediate Driver

That Cuda is gorgeous. Of course, since you are offering, I will take any one of them you would like to give me.
97Cobra
Intermediate Driver

429 Boss is nice But I'll have to take the Cougar E
MarveH
Intermediate Driver

I'd say the GT350 because it is the more all-around driver's car. I don't 1000 HP but I'll take a car as balanced and as light as possible. Most people run out of skill long before they run out of power.
25aniv
Intermediate Driver

All nice cars for sure. Looking over the list several times, I'd honestly go with what is the lowest horespower one in the group...the GT350. Its the most "raw" car in the bunch, just what I'd be after if i was looking to spend ridiculous money. If you don't have a headache and nausea from the fumes and pipes right below your ears what fun was it? Lol!
MrKnowItAll
Detailer

None. For much less money, you could buy a new Mustang, Camaro, or Barracu.... uh, Challenger that would drive the socks off these pigs. Including the Shelby, the only really interesting piece.
Like I’ve stated before, these high buck “investments are now static museum pieces.
Rider79
Instructor

Not for me; the ones that I could afford (and only a couple of these could I even possibly afford), I would drive. Selectively, of course, but I would indeed drive the car. On the other days, a nice new Mustang GT convertible, or a Challenger ScatPack, would indeed be nice to have.
tpkrods
Pit Crew

I'm with Rider79 on this one. I happen to be fortunate to own a 68 GT-350 since 1975 and a 68 Hemi GTX since 1972. Both were complete restoration projects. I don't have the financial wherewithal to pay for a full professional restoration but experienced the great satisfaction of completing 80% of the work together with our eldest son over many years at minimal cost vs. the value of the cars. Both cars get driven the way they were designed to be driven and enjoyed. I do do so without fear of collision, theft or breakdown. I built them once, if I break them (and I have) I fix it and carry on. If it's theft or collision, that's why I have insurance. My daily driver is a pickup truck but I would indeed enjoy a new Mustang GT or Challenger RT
Tim
Instructor

Agreed. Other than the Shelby, these cars are bloated and excel in one direction only: forward. Even then, many of these could be embarrassed by a V6 Camry, which is why these cars are garage queens. Imagine spending hundreds of thousands on an old car that doesn't even look that great and getting smoked at the stoplight by grandma's grocery-getter.

One could allow for spending ridiculous sums if these cars were gorgeous examples of automotive art. Most here aren't that great to look at and only had a fan base because they had a large motor.
sharkguy48
Intermediate Driver

Couldn't agree with you more. See my similar comments. sharkguy48
Ragtop69
Intermediate Driver

I can't afford one either.
JSievers
Detailer

Perhaps it’s because I am a seasoned citizen with a less than bottomless pocketbook, but I find the Monte Carlo an attractive option. More than enough performance and drive it anywhere capability. What’s not to love?
Greg_I
Advanced Driver

It perplexes me that they aren't more loved, but that's okay. It is actually a lot of fun being the only 1st gen G-Body owner at meets and get people's take on them.

Chevyman
New Driver

Being a Chevy man and not being a fan of convertibles the only choice for me would be the 1969 Camaro ZL1. It would not be my daily driver, but I would definitely drive it on a regular basis. I've never been able to understand collectors who keep their cars in a large warehouse where they are rarely if ever driven and never seen by the public.
garymkarn
New Driver

Glad to see a Monte Carlo SS in the list .As the 2 nd owner of a 71 Monte Carlo SS that I bought in 1977 when I was 23 . But I drove my car it was my date car going to the bars and disco's . I took it to Califorina in 79 and after getting married it was my weekend car pulling my jet boat to Lake Geneva .In the late 80's early 90's I raced in the NMCA (ran low 14's ). Now still almost all original with 56,000 miles I am usally the only true SS at most shows and cruise nights .
TonyT
Instructor

Plan A: Win the lottery and buy them all. Plan B: See Plan A.
72GTS429SCJ
New Driver

Considering I'm not a multi-millionaire, I couldn't bid on any of them. I, myself have been looking for a 1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport, 351CJ or 429, auto or manual, fastback or notchback, before they also become so overpriced that they also become unaffordable to the average buyer. I almost bbn bought one back in 1975 (age 17) but my older brother bought it first. I ended up buying a 1973 Mustang fastback, 302, automatic. I loved that car but have always drooled over the 72 GTS.
Kenwarren
Pit Crew

At 61, I worry about conversations like this. My gearhead mentor , who has passed would occasionally throw me the keys to his '55 two door post when i was a kid and one time i asked why. He said it would always come back better in someway than when it left and "we need to keep our young people in our hobby or there won't be a hobby." .....value is in the eye of the beholder.  I have no room to talk. My first car was a '57 Nomad, my last three cars were Porsches. 

Rider79
Instructor

Cougar first choice, Cutlass second, Monte Carlo third. If cost was not object, I'd throw in that Challenger convertible.
Rider79
Instructor

Oops - Cuda. Even better!
elheadflat
Intermediate Driver

Pontiac RA IV's run consistently fast. I don't consider the Shelby a muscle car but rather a track car.
The LS-6 is the King in my books, the 70 being the most attractive midsize muscle car.....they're all great cars. Tribute cars are the best...the original ones are out-of-reach.
CarManChris
Intermediate Driver

My first choice is the zl1
Not helping the choice is it being me and my dads first car
Fatcat32
Intermediate Driver

Once again I wrote a comment that totally disappeared when I clicked on "post". Is this common?
Sajeev
Community Manager

@Fatcat32 this is most uncommon.  Next time it happens can you take a screenshot of the error message you get then you click on post?  Just send me a private message with that screenshot so I can start diagnosing the problem. 

Fatcat32
Intermediate Driver

I don't get an error message. Normally when I click on the "post" button, it goes dim. In the cases of the lost posts, the "post" button remains pressed and the reply disappears. I don't have this problem with any other site I post on.

Sajeev
Community Manager

Thanks for the info.  I will see if our team can diagnose what you are seeing (and fix it).   

RSHMottoGuzzi
Pit Crew

One fact you left out on the "Judge" was the popular song "Here come the Judge, you all, Here come the Judge. Every time I heard that song I think of the cool Pontiac. GM should bring back Pontiac!