cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 kooky cars you could call your own this June

Originally scheduled as a live auction in Essen, Germany at the end of this March, RM Sotheby’s European Sale has moved online with bidding open on June 3 and closing on June 11. A Porsche 904 GTS, a Lamborghini Miura, and a Mercedes-Benz 300SL are among the highlights. They’re cool, but we’re also always drawn to the oddballs, and this sale has plenty of Euro weirdness up for grabs. Here are the 10 oddest.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/10-kooky-cars-you-could-call-your-own-this-june/

Replies (17)

Replies (17)

The Glas 1300 GT Coupe kinda  looks like the product of a one night stand between a Ferrari Lusso and a Ford Maverick.  

New Driver

Kooky indeed! This selection is a set of truly rare (and a bit kooky) cars! There isn't a Ferrari or Porsche in the lot1

Well done. This is the sort of thing real collectors look for. Thank you.

Navigator

I'd say that the common thread among the cars presented here is not so much "kooky" but awkward. Really, really awkward.

Pit Crew

Love seeing oddball cars like these. For something truly weird from the world of aftermarket bodies, I recall there was a company back then that sold a fiberglass body to convert your Renault Dauphine into a gull wing coupe. I don't remember their name or if they ever actually sold any, but I do remember seeing an ad for them.

Detailer

Man, that Bitter is a beauty!

Intermediate Driver

Some funky, but also some beautiful cars. The Renault Sport Spider is, or should be, the race car fantasy of every Walter Mitty.

New Driver

so much to love here.......

Pit Crew

Perhaps the word you’re looking for is obscure.

Passenger

Wonderful guys. I've not seen some of these cars. I happen to love the Renault. I have a Lotus XI, and it reminds me of that fun ride.       Jim.

Pit Crew

The 1991 Venturi, IF YOU USE YOUR IMAGINATION, looks a little like a 1986 Honda Accord.

Pit Crew

Bitter was involved with Intermeccanica at one point.  Intermeccanica made some nice looking cars back in Europe, but always got screwed by larger manufacturers.  

Pit Crew

The Austin-Healey Sprite Arkley looks like a cross between the Sprite, a Lotus 7 (front end), and a Morgan (aft end).

Passenger

Interesting but nothing I just have to have.

Passenger

Matra Djet looks like an Opel GT

Lancia Thema looks like an Alfa Romeo Milano

Glas 1300 GT Coupe looks like a Mercury Comet

Pit Crew

All of these cars will be a nightmare to find parts for as well as find someone competent to work on them. 

Pit Crew

Is “kooky” a synonym for “uncommon” all of a sudden?

I’ll give you the Arkley. The rest, not so much. 

Pit Crew

.......not a way to start a Saturday morning............. going to go back and re-read Chip Foos restyle of the XKE, that will restart my brain so I can function this weekend! LOL

Pit Crew