cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

10 Canadian car names from back in the day

Over the years, Canada has had its fair share of unique models. You may be peripherally familiar with some of the exclusive machines that came from north of the border: Pontiacs powered by Chevrolet engines, Plymouth-Dodges (a.k.a. “Plodges”), and a dizzying array of Ford derivatives. Canadian tariffs (solved by the 1965 Auto Pact trade agreement) and other business conditions were often the driving force behind these nation-specific vehicles. This intriguing niche of cars often included names with cultural connections, often inspired by national pride in Canadian history or geography ... 

Read the full list on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/10-canadian-car-names-from-back-in-the-day/

40 REPLIES 40
Passenger

I believe there was a Monarch model in 1959 only they called the Sceptre, can you confirm?

New Driver

Very interesting

Pit Crew

Per the intro of the story: "This intriguing niche of cars often included names with cultural connections, often inspired by national pride in Canadian history or geography." Fargo, AFAIK, is not influenced by Canadian culture.

Pit Crew

Is Allure named for something specific to Canadian culture? 

Pit Crew

"Acadian"

Pit Crew

I believe the warranty was introduced several years after 1960.

Pit Crew

The Firefly's name was not derived from anything Canadian, unlike the cars in this article.

Pit Crew

The Viscount wasn't a name that was uniquely based on Canadian culture.

Pit Crew

Thank you. I appreciate the recognition of what the story was about.

Pit Crew

I appreciate your feedback and had it corrected. Due to login problems, I was not able to thank you earlier.