cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Welcome to the Ford & Mercury forum!

Community Manager

Do you love all things FoMoCo? We want to hear from you, learn from your experiences, and even help you stay in love with your Ford or Mercury. Start a new thread today so the Hagerty community can help you!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Welcome to the Ford & Mercury forum!

Hagerty Employee

The classic Ford - Lincoln - Mercury's are still under rated! Ford's 429/460 of the late 60's & early 70's would make those big cars move in a hurry - something many would never even expect. To top it off; the 385 series motors where engineered to be almost bulletproof; lasting for many many miles even with sub-par maintenance. My '70 Continental is a testament to this - please see the attached article from Hemmings - https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1970-lincoln-continental - once you get over the little nuances like; a counter clockwise rotation, water pump jackets going through the timing cover, & distinct cylinder numbering; it is apparently obvious the amount of intuitive thought & quality that went into these cars. 

Classic FLM's have wonderful styling, are plenty affordable, & quite easy to repair!  Not forgetting to mention; the crazy assortment of aftermarket parts & versatility of the 385 series - big block Ford's are here to stay. Cheers to the blue oval!!

Curious of what your favorite classic blue oval motor is?

Highlighted

Re: Welcome to the Ford & Mercury forum!

Community Manager

That's a great question @DHughes!  The era I know well from my childhood is the 70s-90s, so I will probably give my top three since I can't pick a favorite: 

1. Ford 302 and 351 Windsor

2. Ford 385 series

3. Ford Modular V8