cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guitar74
Technician

What are YOU using for a parts hauler?

20201019_121721.jpgSo I decided to drive the 'ole truck to work today, and right before I went into the office, turned around, looked at my truck and thought, "I have had this thing for twenty yrs., picked up so many things ranging from engines, transmission, have seen a relocation to another state, a relocation BACK, hauled cars, helped friends move, and this thing still looks this good?" I was just sort of shocked thinking back. It's been a great truck with only a torque convertor being a casualty of war. It's a '95 XL, with a 300 I6, e4OD. I bought it back in 2000 for $4000 and it has literally been the most dependable vehicle I have ever had.

Anyhow, it got me to thinking. No car guy should ever be without a good 'ole parts hauler. What are you using? Pretty or not.

15 REPLIES 15
Sajeev
Community Manager

Wow we truly are kindred spirits!  If Ford still made the big six in a normal sized F-150 when I was shopping back in 2011, I would have opted for what you have instead of my 2011 Ranger XLT.  

Can't tow much of anything with it (5-speeds have terrible ratings) but it's carried a lot of heavy and bulky junk for my cars and my house.  I absolutely adore "my parts hauler" because its a blast to use as an alternative to a commuter car too. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 1.22.00 PM.png

Guitar74
Technician

I had an '88 Ranger back in college. When I got it, it had 33000 miles. In two semesters I had racked up 70000 miles. Sold it to my friend who drove it for 10 yrs. and sold it to someone else. Mine was a 2.9 v6, 5 speed 4wd. That thing probably racked up 300000 miles between me and Bobby, and who knows how many with the next guy. 

Nothing wrong with a Ranger. Mine served me well. Still, I wouldn't trade my inline 6 for anything. Low end torque like a freight train. 

Greg_I
Detailer

My 197,000 mile, Michigan rust infested 2003 Silverado 2500HD. It has the 8.1L V-8 and 5-speed Allison transmission. Has been a great hauler despite the gas mileage. It is comforting to know that whatever I put in the bed or on a trailer it can handle it.

Guitar74
Technician

If I were still in Illinois, my truck would be a piece of swiss cheese by now. I started to take that for granted until I took it up to Illinois and Dad freaked out because there was no rust on the body mount bolts and it still has the factory exhaust. 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

DSC01178.JPG

 This

Sajeev
Community Manager

Oooh, the biggest cab on the planet.  Love it. 

CJinSD
Detailer

Hi Sajeev.  I couldn't figure out how to get in touch with you, so I'm posting this here. GuysWithRides had an 85K mile Merkur Scorpio in Orlando that I thought you might be interested in. The price isn't ridiculous too. 

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d/orlando-1989-merkur-scorpio-v6-rare-85k/7215629889.html

Sajeev
Community Manager

Oh my goodness.  Actually...OH NO WHY DID YOU SHOW ME THATTTTTTT!!!!!

I am not a big Scorpio fan, but wow...and thank you for showing it to me! 

Guitar74
Technician

Show me an XR4TI and I will be salivating. 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Action shot.

20200526_191045.jpg

20200526_191034.jpg

Nitro

hyperv6
Instructor

hyperv6
Instructor

6201BC94-30CE-4440-9805-7708CCF36791.jpegThis is my present hauler. In the past my favorites were a now rare 1972 GMC Sprint SP (ElCamino SS) and a HHR SS with 23 pounds of boost and 300 HP. 

Between I have had a number of S10 and GMC Sonoma models including a ZQ8 Sonoma that was fun to drive. 

spoom
Technician

and it doubles as a seasonal cart hauler to and from the warm weather RV park. Here's a rare photo of an E350 Econoline giving birth in captivity;

cartSm.jpgIMG_8278.JPG

peakschool
New Driver

I use a repurposed firewood hauling vehicle and trailer.  It is an old Isuzu Trooper with almost 200k miles.  Pictured here is has a Mazdaspeed 3 engine in the cargo area and a Subaru EJ205 on the back rack i picked up in Phoenix, along with an engine puller on top.  If that isn't enough, I have a 12x6.5 ft box trailer for more room.  I also still use it to haul the trailer to collect firewood.

20200605_151734.jpg

hchinaski
New Driver

I'm using this 1974 F-250 Ranger XLT, to which I have added a power liftgate.   It does parts hauling duty,  lumber and garden supply hauling duty, and "oh crap I actually won that auction for that old scroll saw and now I have to get it home" duty.    20191221_105039.jpgMy previous parts hauler was a '94 F250 with a 5 speed (and a powered liftgate, which I have found to be indispensable).  The 5 speed was great, because it kept people from asking to borrow my truck.