cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Show us your Station Wagon

New Driver

Hi there,

I have a 1972 Plymouth Fury Custom Suburban 9 passenger station wagon.

I purchased it from a gentleman I randomly reached found through a old photo found on a internet search. This was a total long-shot but it worked. Turns out- even though I did not know this guy, he turned out to be a totally reliable gentleman from Tasmania who collects 1950's Dodges ( he moved to NM years ago ). After selling a ton of vintage concert T-shirts, records, posters ( all old heavy metal stuff from my childhood ), I PayPal-ed him but could not ship the car for my wife would kill me so it say for like 6 years. About two years ago I shipped it out and have since gotten it running ( hoses, plugs, brakes, new carb, transmission rebuild, fusebox cleaned up, new rear window motor, added some fun Weld wheels ( Black Drag Lites) , Flowmaster SUPER 44's , hedders, dual exhaust and well- it's not something my wife would ride in after many years in the SW climate in fact it's pretty crusty inside but it drives, looks cool and tell me the last time ya saw one- right?  I did have to do some searching and traveling for the rear tailgate window and motor as it was missing when I go the car but that's par for the course.     Trailer hitch was free ( laughing).

IMG_2937.JPGIMG_2938.JPGIMG_2875.JPGIMG_2512.JPGIMG_3102.JPGIMG_1791.JPGIMG_1793.JPGIMG_1794.JPG

Highlighted

New Driver

Yeap- I have two wagons ( the 72 Plymouth I posted) as well as this one and yes- my wife really was going to shoot me after I snuck this one home one afternoon and stashed it in the garage ( laughing). 

This 1970 Pontiac Catalina was headed for the crusher plus watching too much Roadkill set me into motion so I bought this from a gentleman in NJ for $800 ( that's crazy hugh ) and some would say that was too much but find another - complete for that price.

Yes- it does have some rust, needs a bit of frame work, a driver side floor pan, all new exhaust as it was a hurricane Sandy survivor but when one can't touch a 70 Judge- I look at this as the working mans Judge or Big Chief as folks call it.

1970 Catalina, 400-v-8, automatic transmission ( I had it rebuilt ), no third seat yet but I am looking. Given that the remainder of the exhaust fell off as I unloaded it after transport to the tranny shop, driving it home was fun to say the least. I don't know IMG_0092.JPGIMG_0086.JPGIMG_0385.JPGIMG_0302.JPGIMG_20180418_180457553_HDR.jpgif people were shocked by the shear size, the look ( this is one of those years that you either love it or hate it ) or the fact that it was so loud driving it home with no exhaust. Either or- I thought it was cool and for $800- how could I say no.  As with my Plymouth- no charge for the trailer hitch ( laughing).

Highlighted

1967 Ford Country Sedan - original owners!

New Driver

1967 Ford Country Sedan Station Wagon, with a 390 cubic inch engine. This is the non-wood paneled version of the Country Squire. 

This station wagon holds a special place in my heart, as it is the actual vehicle that my parents purchased brand new in 1967 (for $3,500, along with a new $3,000 Oasis camper trailer). Having three children, my parents paid extra to have vinyl seats, which actually cost more than cloth seats at the time. My childhood was spent in this vehicle, traveling around the country pulling the Oasis, and taking yearly summer trips to see relatives in Iowa (keeping in mind this car does not have air conditioning, those were some hot rides!). Long before seat belts were much of a concern, my brother, sister and I would fill our time by playing in the back deck area of the car with the family dog.

When my parents bought a new Ford LTD station wagon in 1980, this old '67 was used for years by us three teenagers to drive ourselves and as many of our friends as we could cram into it to school, and away from school! 

In 1991, my parents passed the old '67 on to me. It still ran like a champ and the body was perfect, but time, parking outside, and my brother's wild ways had taken a toll. I spent about 10 years and four times the original purchase price slowly restoring the chrome, paint, and vinyl seats and door panels. The picture with my Father, Mother and Sister was taken last year when I took the vehicle to a car show. My Dad had not seen it in years and with the restoration complete, he was in awe at how it looked just like it did when he purchased it 52 years prior (in the interior picture below, you can even see the original floormats!)

I hope to someday pass this car on to one of my sons, nieces or nephews, so that it can always remain a one-family owned car!

1967 Ford.jpgIMG_2068.jpg1967 Ford interior.jpgFamily Car.jpg

Highlighted

New Driver

1961 Pontiac Catalina Safari

IMG_5887 (2).JPGOur Christmas Card six years ago

With a growing family, wanted to find a a good cruiser that would be a good fit for us.  Searched for a Safari for a few years before finding this one.  Original interior, glass, chrome, and motor and one repaint during its lifetime about 25 yrs ago.  Instant hit to say the least. 

IMG_4018_crop.jpg

Day we brought it home

IMG_1429.JPG

Other than adding new carpet, retains original interior and carpet

Safety upgrades immediately including disc brakes and belts.  Dog dish caps modified to fit new 15" Wheelsmith wheels to give stock look while clearing the new brakes.  About 7 years into ownership and have continued to enjoy and care for our Safari.  Eventually went through the 389, added a 4 bbl and new cam, and upgraded to a TH400 to be able to reliably tow our '64 Aloha travel trailer.

LND_FF5D47F0-3D6D-4439-B126-E6E06CBEE0C3.JPG

IMG_9405_awning.jpg

Love the way it puts smiles on people's faces anytime we take it out . . . but the biggest thing for me is how my daughter has called it her wagon for years now.  Think it will always be a keeper.

Tags (3)
Highlighted

Pit Crew

Here are my 3 stationwagons, 1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate, 1973 Ford Country Sedan and a 1985 Dodge Aries Wagon.Here are my 3 stationwagons, 1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate, 1973 Ford Country Sedan and a 1985 Dodge Aries Wagon.I’ve had the 85 Dodge since 2014, it’s a factory 4 speed car. The 73 Ford, I’ve had it since 2008. The 1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate, I’ve had since 2011.I’ve had the 85 Dodge since 2014, it’s a factory 4 speed car. The 73 Ford, I’ve had it since 2008. The 1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate, I’ve had since 2011.Here are my 3 wagons, 1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate Limited, 1973 Ford Country Sedan and a 1985 Dodge Aries Wagon. I’ve owned the Buick since 2011, the Ford since 2008 and the Dodge since 2014. 

Highlighted

New Driver

How this for neat ?20200516_110712_resized_1.jpg20161029_140256_resized (1).jpg

Highlighted

Community Manager

VERY neat!  I'm a sucker for brown wagons. 

Highlighted

New Driver

You don't have to have the fake woodgrain contact paper on a '96 Roadmaster. This is much better.

bobm_0-1599951370530.png