cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mlfreeman
Hagerty Employee

Show us your Motorcycles

Congratulations to @broughsuperior and their awesome 1936 BroughSuperior SS80 for getting the most likes in our Motorcycles car show.

20-4386-US-EVT-2020 Digital Driveway-Newsletter-600x338-R26.jpg

Join our virtual car show with this week's theme:  Motorcycles.

Reply to this post and include:

• A few photos of your ride
  • The bike's year, make, and model
  • Your location
  • (Optional) A short write-up about the bike's history or significance to you

No bike to submit? No problem. Have fun looking at the pictures and reading stories from others. And make sure you “like” your favorites!

The reply with the most likes by next Thursday 29 October will win this week’s show - earning unlimited bragging rights and some Hagerty social media love.

71 REPLIES 71
olds4559
Pit Crew

XA Very nice!
245DownUnder
New Driver

Here's my ride, a 1985 BMW R800, now 1000CC. Purchased new and always a pleasure to ride. On a ride with some mates.On a ride with some mates.In the houseIn the houseIn the house.In the house.1988, the reason I built the outfit.1988, the reason I built the outfit.

tkoehne
New Driver

1951 and 1953 Harley Davidsons.  Complete, nut and bolt restored with less than 1 mile on Speedo.   They are used as garage art and receive many favorable comments.

White bike is 1951 Harley Davidson. Yellow bike is 1953 Harley Davidson.White bike is 1951 Harley Davidson. Yellow bike is 1953 Harley Davidson.

Johnworne
New Driver

DSCF0002 (1).jpg

 this was made for the manatoba police back in the day . All the controls are opposite . Its a 1 of 2 bike now as far as we know

70sKid
Pit Crew

2013 Honda CB11002013 Honda CB11002013 Honda CB11002013 Honda CB1100

Here is my one and only motorcycle these days as seen earlier this year here in Portland, Oregon: my 2013 Honda CB1100. Before I began working from home a couple of years ago my CB1100 was my primary commuting vehicle year-round and it performed that task wonderfully. When riding for pleasure I prefer scenic local backroads over crowded highways. But this machine does it all with relative ease, living up to the "Universal Japanese Motorcycle" (UJM) moniker of the "standard" forebearers that it honors. This motorcycle truly fits my needs perfectly.

The CB1100 was Honda's way of celebrating their heritage along with the significance that the CB line of motorcycles played in their history. Honda originally designed the CB1100 for the Japanese market with no intentions of bringing this motorcycle to North America. It was released in Japan (as well as Australia) in 2010 where it immediately became the top-seller in it class. Honda finally succumbed to the requests of American Honda dealers to bring this machine to the States in 2013, but the CB1100 would never enjoy the sort of enthusiasm over here that it was met with in Japan. It wasn't an inexpensive motorcycle to begin with (relatively speaking), even in Japan, nor was it intended to be.

The mission of the CB1100 was to provide a true retro riding experience — not just to apply some retro-styling to a modern design. Yet that experience was to be combined with a few modern benefits such as fuel injection and powerful brakes. The mill found in the CB1100 represented Honda's first all-new air-cooled engine design in more than two decades. That engine was tuned for a wide, flat power band with ample amounts of torque from down low in the RPM range. The 18" wheels sporting fairly skinny tires (by today's standards) add to the effect, also helping to keep the bike nimble despite it's weight. Not that it's a large motorcycle as it's actually fairly compact for a liter bike. The bike was designed with a number of past CB models in mind rather than trying to replicate the looks of any one specific model. (I only wish that Honda had stuck with the 4-into-1 header design of the concept bike as it mimicked the awesome header design of the 1975-1977 CB400F.)

Honda has made numerous changes to the CB1100 over the years since it's introduction and are still producing these bikes even though they are no longer selling them here in the States. I personally remain the most fond of the original examples like my 2013 model. The looks were a big part of the draw for me and Honda got it just right from the start given my preferences. I actually placed the deposit on my bike back in 2012 literally within just a few hours of Honda's announcement that they would be bringing the CB1100 to North America.

Sorry @mlfreeman , I guess that wasn't exactly a short writeup. It likely won't come as a surprise that I was passionate enough about the CB1100 that I started a forum dedicated to the bike (cb1100forum.com) right after taking delivery of mine. It is such a pleasure to ride and to own that I'll surely own this motorcycle until my riding days are done and even then I imagine that I'll be reluctant to let it go. Thanks for letting me share.

Alireza
New Driver

 2019 kawasaki ninja abs

03EB3ED9-202F-4A00-8C3F-AB878B3BC447.jpeg

C8168709-F1C0-49CA-AF59-CC66033C4E3F.jpeg

56EF4198-1E34-4465-B07D-CBBD006BDA8E.jpeg

RCM1959
New Driver

50 year old Suzuki T500....I am the original owner and it has been a great runner since new
Dbc1dc
Pit Crew

20200509_104227.jpg

 1998 Buell S1 Lightning

1203cc, 91bhp, 45 degree V-twin. 

brb
Advanced Driver

Honda produced the CBX the four years I was in college.  My ride then was a ’73 CB500F, pretty snappy in its time, but nothing like the big six.  When I took my first full-time job, the local Honda dealer had a left over ’82 CBX on display.  I fell in love with that pearl white bike, but didn’t have the means to buy it.

2004071319_WI_Border.jpg

Flash forward twenty years.  I now have the means and I’ve discovered eBay.  Soon, a tatty 1982 pearl white CBX is mine.  It’s not the most beautiful example available, but it runs strong.  It’s a driver, I’m a rider, so a trip is in order.

I flash east from Colorado, literally cooking my way across Kansas in the middle of summer.  I arc north through Michigan and into Ontario, blasting through torrential downpours and loving it.  I head back south into New York State.  I stop in Syracuse to say hello to an old client and end up with a month’s work.  On the weekends I explore the Adirondacks and the Thousand Islands.

Finally, the Syracuse gig is up and it’s time to head home.  The call to Colorado is strong and I snap off 764 miles in one day.  It feels effortless and it gets me to thinking.  I’ve read Ron Ayres’ book Against the Clock, the story of his conquest of 49 states in seven days.  What sticks in my mind is the Iron Butt Association, a group of riders that have ridden 1,000 miles in under 24 hours.  I’m sitting in Vandalia, Illinois about 1,000 miles from home.  I could do it, my own personal iron butt ride on my dream machine.

2004081547_CBX.JPG

The next morning, I check the bike’s vitals, service the drive chain, and hit the road.  The sun rises at my back as I speed west on I-70.  St. Louis arrives in no time.  I cross the mighty Mississippi River, swinging past the Gateway Arch and onto I-44.  I-44 carries me clear of the big city into rolling countryside.  I get off at the exit for Washington, Missouri, cross the Missouri River, and follow its course on a spectacular bit of road called Hwy 49.  It’s the highlight of the day’s ride.

At Jefferson City I cut north on Hwy 63.  I rejoin I-70 at Columbia and get down to business.  It’s August, it’s getting hot, and I’ve got a long way to go.

I drone west on the super slab, stopping every 100 miles for gas and a cold drink, usually ice tea.  Traffic is heavy through Kansas City and on to Topeka, but it moves along at a good clip.  Finally, as I reach Salina things open up a bit.  Rumbling along the freeway isn’t too entertaining, but I enjoy the countryside and watching the odometer add up the miles.

By the time I reach Oakley, Kansas, I’ve been running with the sun in my eyes for an hour.  I’ll suffer the same fate for another hour as I bid I-70 goodbye and continue west on Hwy 40.  The sun finally sets as I reach Kit Carson, Colorado and dogleg south towards Pueblo via Hwy 96.

I’ve got over 800 miles down as I burn through the darkening plains of eastern Colorado.  I’m tired and my right arm is completely numb.  I’m hyper alert for deer, it’s their witching hour and they don’t disappoint, making several appearances along side the highway.  But the motor still sings and I feel good as the air cools and home gets closer.

I have a bad moment when the bike makes a horrible squeal.  I quickly stop and inspect things, but no signs of damage are apparent.  I rev the engine and discover the tach cable has parted.  It’s the first and only mechanical problem the 22-year-old machine has displayed in the three months and 7,600 miles I’ve owned it.

I sail into Pueblo late in the evening and stop for my last fill up and cold drink.  I look at the odometer, it looks like I’m going to be 40 miles short of my goal.

Grim determination takes hold.  I’ll not be cheated this close to the finish line.  I roar north on I-25 for 20 miles to Pikes Peak International Raceway, then backtrack to Pueblo.  Within an hour I’m home; tired, sore, and ecstatic.  I’ve covered 1,016 miles in 17¼ hours on the machine of my dreams.

2004062604.JPG

Dbc1dc
Pit Crew

Love the CBXs
Kyle

This is my 1977 Kawasaki KE175. I keep bringing home other bikes, but this is the one that came home and never seems to leave. I just love it too much. IMG_8512 copy.JPG

Tiffany
Hagerty Employee

827CFF80-4274-4617-A3E3-EC90E9C5AF80.jpeg

 Do mini bikes count? It’s my first bike, but I already have my second one picked out! 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Mine

2009 Aprilia Tuono 1000R (V2 1000cc)

2006 KTM Superduke 990 (V2 1000cc)

2000 Honda RVT1000RR (RC51) (V2 1000cc)

DSC00161.JPGDSC_0077.JPG20180708_121855.jpg

Nitro

spoom
Technician

ValkFly.jpgBSA.jpgCBChop72.jpgValkGlenn07.jpgFBsm1.jpg

MP
Pit Crew

PPE.jpgDroid 088.jpg020.JPGThis is our 69’ (one year only) Honda SL90. I was lucky enough to get a 69’ Mini Trail 50 when I was 10, my first “real” bike. I had been wanting to get my Puppy something to ride and ran across the 69’ Honda brochure that I still had! There were typically four bikes per page, but TWO pages of the SL90! I remember dreaming about having one of those Big Ol’ Bikes back then, but it was just a dream! After finding the brochure I searched eBay, Nothing! Then tried Craigslist and there was only one SL (of any size!), and it was relatively close, and the right color (they only came in red or blue). We came home with it that night! It had been on display in the LeMay Museum which was a plus! In three years we have put over 300 miles on it including completing the VME Isle of Vashon TT (I like to call it the Isle of Dog!), and Tiddler Tour. Lots of fun, burns virtually no gas, and it’s my Puppy’s favorite vehicle! We are located just outside of Seattle/CHOP.

olds4559
Pit Crew

Just a few from the collection for you:

IMG_0032[1].JPGIMG_0055[1].JPGIMG_0049[1].JPGIMG_0333[1].JPG

Fredl
Pit Crew

What a collection!
Got into bikes as a young guy when a client lent me his r69s for a few years.
DUB6
Instructor

My last "big boy bike" was a 2001 UMC "Fat Pounder" with a 113" S&S, 6-speed, Vance & Hines pipes and Avon tires.

Old School flames are my favoriteOld School flames are my favorite

But more recently, I've been having fun on my minibike.  It's a 1967 Bonham Mini-Gote.  The Tote-Gote was invented by Ralph Bonham from Utah, and was mainly a hunter's bike.  When Rupp and others started marketing mini-bikes to the surf crowd in California, Ralph decided he needed one to be competitive, so he downsized the Tote-Gote and made the Mini-Goat.  I found the frame, all hacked up, sitting beside a dumpster.  After extensive mods - including "borrowing" a Predator engine off my wife's rototiller - I had it rideable again.  I've had a blast on it, and the grandkids and other youngsters who visit have really enjoyed it out in our field.  In fact, it's been rough-ridden so much that I'm currently stripping it all down and giving everything a refresh.

Somebody got hacksaw crazySomebody got hacksaw crazyNeeded some "mods" for the motor to fitNeeded some "mods" for the motor to fitWhitewall paint changed the whole lookWhitewall paint changed the whole lookModified the airbox into a Hilborn bug-catcher scoopModified the airbox into a Hilborn bug-catcher scoopIt's great for buzzing around car shows, swap meets, etc.It's great for buzzing around car shows, swap meets, etc.The grandkids have just about worn it outThe grandkids have just about worn it out

So okay, it's technically not a "motorcycle" like others featured here.  But it's a kick to have around and I thought maybe it'd inspire some others to post stories and pictures of their minis or other "unusual" rides.  The two-wheel (and sometimes three-wheel) hobby can produce a lot of other stuff than just Harleys and crotch rockets, can't it?

bb67hd
Pit Crew

bb67hd_0-1614098948447.png

bb67hd
Pit Crew

This is my shovelhead --1980 h-d lowrider purchased in 1990.

Most work done by myself less the paint and plating.

bb67hd_0-1614099119792.png

grumburg
Pit Crew

My 1972 Yamaha XS2 650. All original with 7000 miles including original 1972"XS"100_2439.JPG100_2416.JPG100_2420.JPG license. Sold new at Midway Yamaha in Akron Ohio in May 1972. Purchased from estate of good friend and fellow 650 fanatic after being displayed in his family room for 26 years. Was with him in 1990 when he purchased it from original owner

Sixt8bird
Pit Crew

Marks Dad 1 .jpg

1947 Indian Chief barn find. Off the road since 1958, 22,000 original miles original title, registration and picture of the only other owner in 1955. Red Indian is a fully restored 1948 Indian with all the original trim package. 

67691218_10157375334832726_1042711819157766144_o (1).jpg20140531_202454.jpg

116901016_10158440439682726_1721392939927844206_o.jpg