Nitro20200814_185421.jpg

Highlighted

Re: Show us your Hot Rods

Community Manager

Now THAT is serious. 

Highlighted

Advanced Driver

18446.jpegThe 2X4's will be replaced by custom adapter plate, it's programmed into the CNC just need to cut a wood test piece before cutting Al. The Blower is also still set up for Diesel, needs to be converted to Gas ( swap rotors so drive is front side, re-shim for gas, change bearing to sealed type, diesels have oiling system so open bearings) Finish rebuilding carbs, Carb Linkage.

Nitro

PS: I added the picture of the adapter plate CNC program, it will run this weekend in wood so I can check the dimensions out.

Highlighted

Hagerty Employee
that is some great information Nitro, Converting the blower over for gasoline would make for a great "How to" tech article! I had a few old GMC blowers around here from my days over working on woods equipment. I gave them all away to car friends over the years but I have yet to see any of them pull into our cruise nights with a blower motor under the hood.

Keep up the great work, I love what your up to!
Highlighted

Instructor

Here's the same 'ole shot of my '68 Cougar. I have owned it since 2014. It is a base model 289 car that, believe it or not, still has the original engine, trans, and rear end.

The original build was 9.5:1 forged slugs, factory heads bowl work, gasket matching, and exhaust port polishing, and a comp xe 256 cam. I also installed a Pertronix Ignitor 3 dizzy, coil, and 12v relay. After many cam changes, I finally settled on an XE 262, and machined a slot in the intake plenum of the Performer intake (Before anyone ask why I didn't go with the RPM, understand that hood clearance on this car is very limiting and at this level of build the power difference is negligible) It just seems to like the XE262 cam which also works well with the convertor and 3.55 rear gears. 

The interior is Ivy Gold and the interior is all factory save the carpet and dash pad which someone replaced with black for some unknown reason. 

Before the car came home to me the sway bar was upgraded to a 1 1/4", a leaf was added to he rear springs, and the body was done (see how I got my '68 Cougar in community). upon the first time driving in metro Atlanta traffic, I quickly ordered a Willwood Classic series disc brake conversion kit. I also converted it to manual steering as the convoluted factory four hose power steering setup was a little too close for comfort to the headers which were already on the car. So aside from the cam changes (4 to be exact), disc brake upgrade, and manual steering conversion, I have basically been able to drive, maintain, and enjoy it. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Best gift I ever got. PERIOD......

Eventually I will go with the Borgeson power setup.  But for now, I am just enjoying it.

Cougar and galaxie 2.jpg

Highlighted

Advanced Driver

Guitar74

Nice Cougar, I have always loved the Cougars.

My Truck is a '66 C10 Step side.

It started life as a LWB but was shortened with a Brothers kit, it was also C Notched because of the 5 1/2" front and 5" rear drop.

It has disc front conversion and I have a Big Brake rear disc conversion for the rear, but haven't found the time to install it. With the front brakes being disc and the power brake conversion it actually stops very well.

I also added power steering when I swapped the motor.

She rolls on GM transport wheels 22" with 265/35-22 rubber.

I have everything to add the Muncie 319 3 on the tree OD trans, just haven't got to that yet either. The 318 is working well just lacks the OD.

It came with the factory 250 ci I6 and 3 on the tree. (Still have the motor on a stand in garage)

I built the '65 283 with power pack heads (Hard seats added) and the Offy Tri power setup. The motor is stock rotating assembly (I believe) because it was in such good condition and std. bore, I just re-bearinged it but didn't mess with the rings, the cylinders were holding WD-40 overnight.

Cam is unknown but I believe stock.

I got another motor from the same source as the running 283 came from.

I wanted a 327, but the running truck it came out of had had the long block replaced with a 350, dressed up with all the period correct 327 stuff.

By the time i pulled the motor and uncovered the casting numbers I decided to take it anyhow.

I will probably destroke it to 327.

But I don't know if it is a 4 Bolt main or anything, its sitting on the stand waiting for attention.

The plan is to build the 327 for the blower and keep everything under the hood.

From China wall to top of the Webers is about 16.5" and I have 17" from china wall of motor installed to bottom of sheet metal of the hood, gonna be tight and interesting.

May have to mill and 1/8th here and there, to get things to fit.

I have added a pic for your enjoyment.

20190726_185848.jpg

Highlighted

Advanced Driver

Adapter plate mockup machined out of MDF for check fit, then if it fits machine out of Al.

Nitro

19699.jpeg

19700.jpeg