cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Julie
Community Manager

Show us your Hot Rods

Congratulations to @JHynes and their awesome 1931 Model Ford for getting the most likes in our Hot Rods show!

WmULFboEFW9eY_-k2cwLtX9rPtsmekrjKrZQrjsBbcc.jpeg

Join our virtual car show with this week's theme: Hot Rods.

Reply to this post and include:

• A few photos of your car
  • The car's year, make, and model
  • Your location
  • (Optional) A short write-up about the car’s history or significance to you

No car to submit? No problem. Have fun looking at the pictures and reading stories from others. And make sure you “like” your favorites!

The reply with the most likes by next Thursday 4 June will win this week’s show - earning unlimited bragging rights and some Hagerty social media love.

43 REPLIES 43
Lou28woody
New Driver

B893DAAD-305C-4C54-A3F8-D6AB710B7E91.jpeg

  Lou & Linda’s 27 Ford Woody in front of Fords Garage at Margaritaville in Kissimmee  Fl

JHynes
New Driver

'31 A'31 A'31 A'31 ATombstoneTombstoneBonneville Salt FlatsBonneville Salt FlatsLife time dream come trueLife time dream come true

This is my 1931 Model Ford.  I jokingly call it it a '31.5 as it has a bobbed '32 frame, '32 grille, '32 cowl vent and '32 dash panel.

I'm a Brit living in the U.S. for 25+ years now.  I stumbled upon Hot Rod and Rod and Custom magazines when a teen, and so was corrupted to the ways of V8s and too much horsepower from an early age.

Though I've had old cars my whole life, from my first car, a 1961 Riley One Point Five (straight into restorations, insane) to my current garage (and, um, driveway) full of problems, I mean joys, it took me until my 50th birthday to get a real, pre-49 hot rod.

I  did not build it, I do not have the skills.  It was pro-built by Jim Schrader out of Missouri. I bought it at the L.A. Roadster Show in 2013, which added to the dream come true aspect aspect of it all.

Two dreams in one, own a hot rod and drive that car to the Bonneville Salt Flats.  It was a momentous year, 2014, 100th anniversary at Bonneville, I had a hot rod, my brother flew in and we drove from Phoenix to Bonneville in the A... and the whole thing got rained out.

It put a dent in the fantasy but only a small dent, the trip was fantastic, the car was faultless and the memories for ever.

Seven years later and 5000 miles later (1600 of those on the Bonneville trip) I still love the car.  It is, for me, a pull up a chair, crack a beer and just sit and look at it car.  I cannot see ever selling it.

Thanks for doing this "Show Us Your Hot Rods" event, a great idea.

Julian Hynes

PGA2
Pit Crew

Nice looking ride, Julian.

Phil in TX

V8LEE
New Driver

Great Trip to Bonneville. Don't worry about getting rained out. It's not unusual. Great hot rod. Thanks. Rich

flaminghotrod51
New Driver

don;s car_LI (3).jpgInked0243a8b9-609a-47cf-be07-0bbc0be2bc0c_LI.jpg

1951 Meteor Deluxe, 2 door coupe. Built by my late father, Don Grasley. For sale to serious buyer. Stoney Creek, Ontario. Car appraised at $16,000, asking best offer.

69RS-SS
New Driver

90265F49-5626-46A7-B0C7-4079ED1DA723.jpeg

Sanduners
Pit Crew

1963 Pontiac Lemans convertible.326 V8 Auto Trans326 V8 Auto Trans

bernard77
New Driver

1969 Chevy Camaro SS

Hinesville Georgia (Home of the 3ID Fort Stewart Georgia)

I purchased this 1969 Camaro in September of 2008 becoming the third owner and it needed an extensive restoration, which was completed May 2010. All the sheet metal had to be replaced with the exception of the roof.

The 350 small-block and 700R4 transmission was the icing on the cake with 400 horsepower. Coupled to the new a 704R Automatic Transmission, 650 Holley CFM E/choke, 350 Chevy Block, Gm 350 Crankshaft. Performance Connecting Rods.9.5:1 Compression Pistons. Speed Pro Moly Rings. Melling 3 Piece Timing Set, Melling High Pressure Oil Pump. Muscle Car Camshaft , Edelbrock  Performer RPM Heads with 64cc Chambers New 2.02″ Intake Valves.

New 1.60″ Exhaust Valves , MSD 6AL Ignition with built in limiter, MSD Pro billet distributor, 3:73 posi-traction rear end, Flow-master American Thunder stainless steel dual exhaust and stainless steel gas tank.

I am retired from the Army with combat tours in Gulf War, Iraq and Afghanistan.

The car will mainly be a show car and daily driver no trailer Queen

This car is not only a way of life for him, but his family as well. Especially for his grandchildren, to get them involved in cars and to demonstrate to them that there is more to life than video games. 

back.jpgEngine.jpgfront.jpgsi.jpgside.jpg

1931APickup
New Driver

The truck started out with a custom frame that I built.  The Model A body needed a flat frame to set on and the CJ7 suspension needed a humped frame to hang from.  By keeping the Model A wheelbase, I only had to modify the firewall for engine clearance and the front fenders for power steering line clearance.  It also made the ride smoother than what the CJ7's offered.  The sheet metal is from a year-end 1931 closed cab metal roof pickup.  I used a 1994 Jimmy as a donor car from which I took the 4.3 V6 engine, 4L60E transmission, steering column, computer and anything else I could use.  I used a 1986 CJ7 from which I took the springs, axles, steering box, transfer case(using a Novac adapter), drive shafts(lengthened as needed), and gas tank.  I had to relocate the axles beneath the springs in order to gain front drive shaft clearance.  The rally wheels are from a Scout, trimmed with stainless steel trim rings, and 1928-9 Model A hubcaps added to the Scout hubcaps to clear the CJ7 dust covers.  My plan was to build the truck, work out the "bugs", then disassemble it for final painting and detailing. Back in the early 1980's, I built a 1931 Ford Model A Sedan Delivery 4WD, but it turned out so nice that I was hesitant to drive it. So for now, I will leave it in the black epoxy primer and drive it as is.  I am DeVon Williamson of Byron, GA. IMG_5385.jpg  

Grumpy
Pit Crew

11 years ago, when I retired and being a nut and bolt turner all my life, I rolled over my 401K into an IRA and begged my wife of 40 years IF I could hold out enough cash to buy my high school dream car. A 1939 or 1940 Ford street rod. Well, after looking at a few, she would not let me buy a sedan like I saw in a "Cartoon" with a '40 sedan jacked up in the rear with the guy saying to his buddy "Well, at least I don't have to bend over to get the spare out!". She said a sedan was an old mans car. When I found the dream car in Florida off we went because I never drove a "street rod" version but a good buddy of mine, who work with Tommy Ivo back in the day, told me what to look for. Well it was a picture perfect '40 Ford coupe that was 100% done with the correct American Mags and the right flame job but everything else was wrong. Luckily I knew what a 400 SBC was about, I turned bearings in one because, well, I just don't know how to drive nice even today, and it had a straight axle under it, too. There were a few other things that just made this car a coffin for us IF I drove it home but the problem was not the car. It was my right foot.

When we got home, there was a voice mail from my buddy, who was at a big car show with a car corral not more than 40 miles from us. He gave me the info, I drove it the very next day and we both agreed. It was in my driveway by the end of the week and it cost about 1/2 of what the car in Florida would have cost. It is a 1939 Ford Deluxe coupe with a stock 350 SBC, 350 AT, Mustang II FA with rack & pinion PS & PB. It is like driving a big over sized go cart. Well, 11 years later, everything has been up graded, improved,replace and all the latest creature features are in it. We have put over 20K miles on it and it has gone to St.Paul "Back to the '50's show" at least 7 times, to car shows all over Wisconsin, Indiana and Michigan. We love this toy. Check out the photos and see if you like it as much as we do. Thanks from Grumpy and his squeeze.GRUMPYS RIDE #1.jpgGrumpy and E 9.29.10.jpgGrumpys  Ride.JPGColor Grumpy at the wheel.pngUnder Grumpys hood.JPG

Grumpy
Pit Crew

Thanks.
Grumpy
Pit Crew

Thanks everyone. We wish we could get back on the road again but it sure don't look like any shows in Illinois will be starting up soon. Mr. Pit Crew, In the late '60s and early '70s, before Uncle Sam got me for Nam, I helped build 2 Grand national stock cars and a tilt bed truck to haul it on plus pitted the car a USAC events back then. We ran against AJ Foyt, The Users, Don White, etc. but we only ate their dust and rubber because we were an independent running against the factory cars back then. It was fun but hectic when you hold down a full time job. We sure hope better days come soon and thank you all for the Thumbs Up. Remember to keep the rubber side down. Stay safe and well. Grumpy

Harley237
New Driver

Joe Davidson 

1993 Florida Highway Patrol SSP Mustang

unit 1222 . Used by Troop E out of Miami from 1993-2001 . The last Marked unit from Daily F/T duty 

Proud Hagerty policy holder for 11 years & counting. 

C65EFC5B-1F0D-4D6E-B8CB-B92515F92550.jpeg

54FDD1E7-D9F2-4C04-8260-96EA119C74F4.jpeg

C9FA0338-2520-4121-90CB-9AED6CC5FE28.jpeg

9C05D0B2-9E4B-44BB-A7E9-FFD68D625AE9.png

3844B55E-F68B-4560-9A0A-D4C79DD708B8.jpeg

Sajeev
Community Manager

I am a big fan of the SSP Mustangs...and I wish I bought an SSP speedometer for my family's 1991 LX 5.0 back when they were cheaper!
BobRed
New Driver

Pickup at dino park.jpg

Pickup headlights.jpeg

PICKUP LED.jpg

Brendan
Pit Crew

20200509_153701.jpg20190910_155728.jpg20190910_161203.jpg

This is my 1952 Chev, 2 dr.hdtp. It has 350 with TH350, 57 rearend, original frontend with power disc brake kit and power steering added. Bucket seats are from a 64 Impala SS. I prefer to have it at stock height as it is driven a lot here in Newfoundland, Canada.

TrentSteeves
Hagerty Employee

I knew I recognized the car Brendan! lol
Brendan
Pit Crew

Thanks Trent.
NITRO450EXP
Instructor

20190327_115031.jpg20190422_162805.jpg

Sajeev
Community Manager

That's a stunning engine! 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Sajeev

Thanks

Nitro
NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Sajeev

Thanks, I have plans to go further.

Nitro20200814_185421.jpg

Sajeev
Community Manager

Now THAT is serious. 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

18446.jpegThe 2X4's will be replaced by custom adapter plate, it's programmed into the CNC just need to cut a wood test piece before cutting Al. The Blower is also still set up for Diesel, needs to be converted to Gas ( swap rotors so drive is front side, re-shim for gas, change bearing to sealed type, diesels have oiling system so open bearings) Finish rebuilding carbs, Carb Linkage.

Nitro

PS: I added the picture of the adapter plate CNC program, it will run this weekend in wood so I can check the dimensions out.

TrentSteeves
Hagerty Employee

that is some great information Nitro, Converting the blower over for gasoline would make for a great "How to" tech article! I had a few old GMC blowers around here from my days over working on woods equipment. I gave them all away to car friends over the years but I have yet to see any of them pull into our cruise nights with a blower motor under the hood.

Keep up the great work, I love what your up to!
Guitar74
Technician

Here's the same 'ole shot of my '68 Cougar. I have owned it since 2014. It is a base model 289 car that, believe it or not, still has the original engine, trans, and rear end.

The original build was 9.5:1 forged slugs, factory heads bowl work, gasket matching, and exhaust port polishing, and a comp xe 256 cam. I also installed a Pertronix Ignitor 3 dizzy, coil, and 12v relay. After many cam changes, I finally settled on an XE 262, and machined a slot in the intake plenum of the Performer intake (Before anyone ask why I didn't go with the RPM, understand that hood clearance on this car is very limiting and at this level of build the power difference is negligible) It just seems to like the XE262 cam which also works well with the convertor and 3.55 rear gears. 

The interior is Ivy Gold and the interior is all factory save the carpet and dash pad which someone replaced with black for some unknown reason. 

Before the car came home to me the sway bar was upgraded to a 1 1/4", a leaf was added to he rear springs, and the body was done (see how I got my '68 Cougar in community). upon the first time driving in metro Atlanta traffic, I quickly ordered a Willwood Classic series disc brake conversion kit. I also converted it to manual steering as the convoluted factory four hose power steering setup was a little too close for comfort to the headers which were already on the car. So aside from the cam changes (4 to be exact), disc brake upgrade, and manual steering conversion, I have basically been able to drive, maintain, and enjoy it. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Best gift I ever got. PERIOD......

Eventually I will go with the Borgeson power setup.  But for now, I am just enjoying it.

Cougar and galaxie 2.jpg

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Guitar74

Nice Cougar, I have always loved the Cougars.

My Truck is a '66 C10 Step side.

It started life as a LWB but was shortened with a Brothers kit, it was also C Notched because of the 5 1/2" front and 5" rear drop.

It has disc front conversion and I have a Big Brake rear disc conversion for the rear, but haven't found the time to install it. With the front brakes being disc and the power brake conversion it actually stops very well.

I also added power steering when I swapped the motor.

She rolls on GM transport wheels 22" with 265/35-22 rubber.

I have everything to add the Muncie 319 3 on the tree OD trans, just haven't got to that yet either. The 318 is working well just lacks the OD.

It came with the factory 250 ci I6 and 3 on the tree. (Still have the motor on a stand in garage)

I built the '65 283 with power pack heads (Hard seats added) and the Offy Tri power setup. The motor is stock rotating assembly (I believe) because it was in such good condition and std. bore, I just re-bearinged it but didn't mess with the rings, the cylinders were holding WD-40 overnight.

Cam is unknown but I believe stock.

I got another motor from the same source as the running 283 came from.

I wanted a 327, but the running truck it came out of had had the long block replaced with a 350, dressed up with all the period correct 327 stuff.

By the time i pulled the motor and uncovered the casting numbers I decided to take it anyhow.

I will probably destroke it to 327.

But I don't know if it is a 4 Bolt main or anything, its sitting on the stand waiting for attention.

The plan is to build the 327 for the blower and keep everything under the hood.

From China wall to top of the Webers is about 16.5" and I have 17" from china wall of motor installed to bottom of sheet metal of the hood, gonna be tight and interesting.

May have to mill and 1/8th here and there, to get things to fit.

I have added a pic for your enjoyment.

20190726_185848.jpg

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Adapter plate mockup machined out of MDF for check fit, then if it fits machine out of Al.

Nitro

19699.jpeg

19700.jpeg

Sajeev
Community Manager

Wow, you got the skills and all the cool tools to make it happen too! 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Sajeev

Can't take credit for the machining, it was done by a friend who is a machinist by trade.

I have some very talented friends.

I will be spending a week working on his project, in order to repay him for several projects, he has helped me on.

Payback is a bit&$

Nitro

Sajeev
Community Manager

The problem with my friends is they never give me a price for how much they feel their work is worth. So I usually pay more than whatever a little googling will tell me. That said, one time I payed an extra $100 to a guy for installing a limited slip, and turns out I overpaid since he had no clue what he was doing. 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Sajeev

The problem I run into, is he says, "I can make that", then because he is a perfectionist, he spends 3 days making something, that ebay has for 80 Bucks, and won't accept any money. I feel guilty taking time away from his project.

That is why I am taking a week off and working on his stuff.

The issue with 80 buck ebay crap, is just that, 1/2 of the time its not good stuff, plus when we open the hood, I can say hey I designed that and my buddy made it.

Pretty cool street cred if you ask me.

Nitro

Sajeev
Community Manager

Agreed 100%! 

Guitar74
Technician

My grandpa had a '66 C-10. It ended up sitting at the farm for a few years, then behind their house once they moved into town after retiring. I drove by one day and thought to myself,"Man that thing would look great fixed up." I drug my feet. 2 months later, I stopped by to see if grandpa would sell it to me and it was already gone. $75. The thing is, the guy sprayed wd40 in the cylinders waited, spun the truck by hand a few times, changed the oil, filled the tank after draining it, installed new points, and drove it onto the trailer. No idea what happened to it after that. That was 27 yrs. ago. It too was a long wheel base 283. 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Guitar74,

Unfortunately after living in Africa for 3 generations, when I left, I left all the possibility of getting Grandad's or Dad's (ANYTHING) behind.

But cool story, wish you had a time machine and $75 bucks, I bet?

Nitro.

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

20201009_181706.jpg

 looks like a little tweaking and we are good to go.

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

20201009_181614.jpg

20201009_181609.jpg

 some more pics

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Al is cut.

19845.jpeg

 Nitro

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Now, I can actually take credit for doing some of the machining. 

20201018_220322.jpg

19962.jpeg

20201018_162710.jpg

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Bad news, the blower and Webers will not fit.

The R Weber hits the heater box and the L one hits the Brake booster.

I will make new manifolds that swoop forward to clear the obstructions and downward to clear the hood.

The linkage just became cable, no way to do linkage with the carbs now angled.

More design and fab work, Whoo Hoo.

Nitro

Sajeev
Community Manager

Makes sense...good luck with the fabrication!

TrentSteeves
Hagerty Employee

FF32592F-E418-4FAF-91A2-485F611C320A.jpeg

D6A3499F-0E7E-44FC-9A1E-2AD04B51DFC5.jpeg

072B5163-BFDE-4367-A10C-962AF83456CA.jpeg

7E17DC27-B26C-48CD-99DD-6AB1B77B594F.jpeg

F8790429-E5D3-4EC0-98F5-3C4F78A22E5D.jpeg

ABEA9E66-3D8F-4E4D-87E1-49F453638087.jpeg

 this is our 1953 Chevy businessman’s coupe, built as a father son project about 14 years ago, Dad will be 74 this coming week so this was built in the style of being his high school dream car back in the early 60’s. Features a 235 inline 6 from a 61 impala with dual Rochester carbs on top of a Fenton intake, with Fenton split cast iron headers, Wayne side and valve covers and backed up by a 700r4 transmission for cruising. 

the cars been featured in Canadian Hotrod magazine as well as My Classic Car with Dennis Gage. 

Bluetruck
New Driver

20201112_221654.jpg

20201112_221805.jpg