cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Show us your First Car

New Driver

Ford PopFord Pop

1959 Ford Popular. Purchased for 29 British pounds in 1971 - a paltry sum even in those days. I got it the year before I was eligible for a licence (17 yrs in UK) and it came with locked up rear brakes, hole in the floor and a tooth missing in, non syncro, first gear. I learned a lot about repairs that year with my dad's help. I didn't know then I would still be fixing old British cars so many years later as a collector AND living in Canada!

Highlighted

New Driver

When I was 13, somehow I convinced my parents to let me buy my first car. I scraped up $20.00 and bought a 1959 Plymouth Fury Convertible. It was gold with a tan canvas top and a tan & gold interior. It had wide white-walls and duel exhaust. We had a very long driveway and I was allowed to drive up & down it. I learned basic mechanics like oil changes, grease jobs and tune ups. I was the envy of all my buddys!

My First Car.jpg

Highlighted

New Driver

Datsun_411.jpg

1965 Datsun 411

Much quicker than it had any right to be. This image taken after an incident with a Buick right front fender. Added sway bars and adjustable gas shocks. Almost rolled it driving an autocross event. Was finally taken out 3 AM one morning on the expressway, sideswiped by very large white Cadillac. 

Highlighted

New Driver

My first car is a 1957 Oldsmobile 88 Holiday sedan.  It has been in the family since day One.20161101_171753.jpg20150920_145738.jpg20150920_145853.jpg20161101_171705.jpg20161101_171828.jpg20161101_172017.jpg20161101_172032.jpg  My uncle returned from the Korean War and rewarded himself with this car, costing $3,200.  (He couldn't afford the Cadillac he wanted.)  He couldn't keep up the payments, so his mother took it over.  She drove it with a lead foot until 1968.  My oldest brother then bought it and drove it for one year, during his medical internship.  He then joined the USAF as a Flight Surgeon for the Vietnam War.  The car passed to another brother who drove it through college until the transmission went out in 1983 and it would only go 5 mph.  I bought it from him for $1.  I got a transmission from an 88 with a blown engine, junked behind a local garage.  My father took $50 off the mechanic's medical bill. (Yes, doctors did some bartering in those days.)  Another $50 and the transmission was installed and it's still going strong.  I drove it my last three years of college at IU and later leaving the church from our wedding, now 41 years ago.  I had it fully restored in 1985 from the ground up, down to the bare metal, keeping the original sky-blue metallic fleck paint, original engine and reproductions of the original white wall tires.  His name is "Blue Max" and he has less than 100K miles.  I now cruise the roads of southern Indiana.

Highlighted

New Driver

Here's mine - a 1958 Buick Super 56R - my original high school cruiser. I dragged it home in 1975 with a blown motor at age 15. Found a donor for a transplant, and put in enough hours pumping gas at the filling station to afford a cheap paint job and some WWWs by 1976 (when I got my license) and drove it in high school. Sold it in 1979 to my old girlfriend's dad and went overseas, never seeing her, or my beloved Buick, again for 30+ years... UNTIL I ran into her at a HS reunion in 2012 and discovered her brother still had my old Buick in a barn in Wisconsin. Bought it back in 2013, and have now just finished a six-year restoration on my no kiddin' first car! 

It is currently in my home state of Minnesota, but soon to be on its way to Germany, where we now live.  Needless to say, NOT FOR SALE!!!

1975-2019.jpgSara-58 Left Front Partial wDazzle - E.jpgSara-58 Left Rear wBrent - E.jpg58 Panorama Dash.jpg

Highlighted

New Driver

1943 Ford Jeep1943 Ford Jeep

This "is" my first car when I turned 16 in 1967.  I say "is" because 50+ years late I still have it!  Ford made approx. 250K Jeeps for WW II compared to the approx. 500K made by Willys.  (If you are not familiar with Jeep history, the Ford Jeep is mostly identical to the Willys Jeep with one main exception.  Henry Ford required that all parts have the letter "F" stamped on it, displaying that this Jeep is Ford-made, not Willys-made.  As I restored my Jeep, I find many of the original parts with either a raised script "F" or a stamped "F".) 

This one rolled off the assembly line in late July/early August of 1943 & was shipped to England as part of the supply scale-up for Overlord.  I don't believe that it made it to the European continent.  My aunt, living in London at the time, purchased this vehicle in 1962 for her son (my cousin).  In 1964, moving back to the US, she had it shipped to the Port of NY.  The Jeep was purchased by me from my aunt for $1 in 1967.  I would drive it all thru high school & college inn the NYC Area.  In the late 70s, my cousin would take ownership of the Jeep again.  It traveled from NY to AZ, then up to WA (Seattle Area) & finally end up in Los Angeles, CA.  In 2005, my cousin asked if I would like the Jeep back.  I consented & had the Jeep shipped cross-country to NH when it now resides.  Because of the design simplicity, I continue to do my own mechanics/restoration on the vehicle.  I also have the same smile on my face now that I had in 1967 when I first drove the Jeep!! 😊😊

Highlighted

New Driver

My 1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass.

I saw it at a neighbor’s house while I was living in Tucson, AZ. I was 13 years old. I left a note with my house phone number asking if it was for sale. One day I get home from school and my dad is on the phone with a very confused look on his face, and when he hangs up he asks me if I had anything to do with it. He told me I was of no age to get a car and it was too expensive anyways. I was disappointed, but I guess he had a point.

Almost every day I saw the Olds while riding my bike, and I started seeing it being in little better shape every time. New tires. It was parked differently, which meant it had been moving. I thought I had inspired the owner to bring it back to working condition so he could enjoy it. I was very wrong.

One day, my whole family picks me up from school, both of my parents, brother, and sister, and that was weird, but I didn’t make much of it. The ride was normal until my mom brought out some brown paper bags, which could be bought at a store close to our house for a dollar, and had surprise gifts in them. The ride started getting weird when they told me to open mine last (me being the middle child). The gifts were as usual, gum, yoyos, those super bouncy balls, things of that nature. Then, when I opened mine, the only thing I remember is that there was a key, with “GM” engraved on the side.

Any normal human being would know what was going on by now, but I was still very confused, or maybe I didn’t want to get my hopes up only to be disappointed, which I was everything but. As we are approaching our house, my dad pulls up right by our neighbor’s house, the Cutlass owner, and then I realized what was going on. I think I even cried. My parents told me “If you can save up and get this thing running properly, this will be your transportation when you can drive, if not.. oh well”.

My dad and I did get it running properly, we moved back to Mexico 2 years after that, and the Cutlass was my daily driver all through my high school years. Then I moved away from home for college, and the Cutlass sat for four and a half years, only being used on my summer vacations and winter break. Then I got a job away from home and graduated, and decided I didn’t want my first car to be one of those sad stories of forgotten cars, so I brought it with me, and now I get to enjoy it every weekend, and it is on the process of being brought back to its best shape ever.

1. The pictures: 1.-once I figured out what was going on with the key. 2.- Me with my Cutlass now (24 y/o) and a VUHL 05, the car built by VUHL Automotive, in Mexico, the company I work at.

1934638_142157385014_7555794_n.jpg1934638_142157390014_3763217_n.jpg1934638_142157395014_169860_n.jpgIMG_9473.jpgIMG_9437.jpg

Highlighted

New Driver

At 13 years old, I took all the money I had saved and with a little help from my folks, purchased my first car, a 67 Chevy II Nova. Mom drove the straight 6 and Powerglide home while I rode an elated shotgun and dad followed behind. 

I'll never forget we actually got pulled over by the police and while he questioned the car's roadworthiness, (not a word) he let us go because the car was so cool. 

I labored over it day and night in my early years, and it became part of me, as my father encouraged and guided from the sidelines. Every nut and bolt, and many generations of work over the years. From the first day of high school, she waited in the parking lot for me to get out of class every day. At night we tore up the streets, blew the skirts up of the local talent, and terrorized the retired folks. I have few memories as a young adult that she wasn't part of them. 

30 plus years later, shes still with me and always will be. 

Cullen 

Yukon, OKCirca 1992, a dorky kid and his hot rodCirca 1992, a dorky kid and his hot rodme, dad, and the Nova. She was in primer till after collegeme, dad, and the Nova. She was in primer till after collegeMarried, kids and new imageMarried, kids and new imageThe minitubs look good from the rearThe minitubs look good from the rear400 small block, 350 Turbo, TCI front end, 9" Ford, 4 Wheel Discs.400 small block, 350 Turbo, TCI front end, 9" Ford, 4 Wheel Discs.

interior sm.jpg

Highlighted

Hagerty Employee

The first car I ever bought that wasn't also supposed to be my everyday transportation was this 1968 Porsche 911T, and this was in about 1996. I paid $7900 for it, and I found it in a New Jersey classified ad. 

Picking up the car in Woodbury, NJ in about 1996...Picking up the car in Woodbury, NJ in about 1996...It had an interesting life, being seized off the streets of Astoria, Queens by the DEA at one point, but the guy I bought it from had made it a running and driving car again. While it still had it's original 110 hp T-spec six, it now had a Type 901 five speed in it, replacing the original Sportomatic, which was a good swap. It had also had the roof clip from a sunroof equipped 911 or 912 grafted on, the wrong wheels, an "interesting" paint scheme away from the original Irish Green it was born with, seats out of a 944...and so forth. It wasn't an original museum piece, just an old sports car at the time.

Road trip visiting family, probably Thanksgiving 1997 in Huntsville, Alabama...Road trip visiting family, probably Thanksgiving 1997 in Huntsville, Alabama...It had an interesting life, being seized off the streets of Astoria, Queens by the DEA at one point, but the guy I bought it from had made it a running and driving car again. While it still had it's original 110 hp T-spec six, it now had a Type 901 five speed in it, replacing the original Sportomatic, which was a good swap. It had also had the roof clip from a sunroof equipped 911 or 912 grafted on, the wrong wheels, an "interesting" paint scheme away from the original Irish Green it was born with, seats out of a 944...and so forth. It wasn't an original museum piece, just an old sports car at the time.

Later in years, after a lot of time, parts, and paint...Later in years, after a lot of time, parts, and paint... It stayed with me for over ten years, and I learned to love old cars and Porsches in particular from this experience. Over the years I painted it Arctic Silver, installed a gorgeous red interior from a '68 parts car- for $200, try doing that today- and even had the engine rebuilt with 2.2 S pistons and cylinders, Solex cams, and reworked the Webers. It would scream to 7200 rpm again and again, and I'll never forget the sound. I took this car with me from Delaware to Alabama to Texas for work, chased a girlfriend that became my wife in Colorado, and sold it to start a family and a business. Yeah, I wish I still had it, but everyone has reasons like this that they sold "the first one." I sold it to a guy in Zurich, Switzerland back in 2006 or so- I wonder if it's still out there? Every now and then I plug the VIN into Google, no hits yet!

Tags (1)
Highlighted

New Driver

My first car was a 1973 Monte Carlo. It was crusty and rusty but I had a lot of fun with it. Michael Wagner 1973 Monte CarloLater on, I bought a 77 Monte Carlo with a 350 4bbl engine and A/C that could freeze you out of the car. Unfortunately that car had some rust issues I was unable to deal with at the time and it went to the crusher. I had a few of the big Oldsmobiles too. A 76 and a 77. I missed those cars. I decided I wanted another classic car and started looking around. I came across this 1974 Monte Carlo that was priced right and had a mere 31,000 mile on it. I went to look at it and knew right away that this was the car for me. Michael Wagner 1974 Monte CarloThis beautiful example has all original interior. Under the hood has all the components just as it left the factory including the grease pencil marks from the assembly line. The original spare is still in the trunk with the jacking instructions still on the inside of the deck lid. It has survived surprisingly well considering it spent most of its life in the city of Philadelphia.

Tags (2)