cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mlfreeman
Hagerty Employee

Show us your Boosted Cars

Congratulations to @trymes and their awesome 1986 Peugeot 505 Turbo
for getting the most likes in our Restored car show!

20-4386-US-EVT-2020 Digital Driveway-Communities Page-1920x108013-2.jpg

Join our virtual car show with this week's theme: Boosted Cars.

Reply to this post and include:

• A few photos of your car
  • The car's year, make, and model
  • Your location
  • (Optional) A short write-up about the car’s history or significance to you

No car to submit? No problem. Have fun looking at the pictures and reading stories from others. And make sure you “like” your favorites!

The reply with the most likes by next Thursday 10 December will win this week’s show - earning unlimited bragging rights and some Hagerty social media love.

7 REPLIES 7
Porsche911air
New Driver

Hello, I bought this Porsche 911 2.4T last year.   This car originated from New-York.  In 2004 it moved to London, and in 2010 it came to Belgium.  A 3.2 engine was mounted, and the 2.4 engine came in boxes.  In 2020 I rebuilt the entire 2.4 engine, cleaned all parts, had the crankshaft reworked, new camshafts (2.4S), new cilinders, S-pistons, new valve guides, new valves, new rocker-arms, new injectors,....,a new engine.   Prior to year end 2020, the engine will be mounted in the car (moving from the initial 130 hp to +- 180/190 hp).  Ready to ride in 2021 !!

Engine 911 2.4T beforeEngine 911 2.4T beforePorsche 911 2.4T   1973Porsche 911 2.4T 1973

Engine 2.4T afterEngine 2.4T after

Bubba
New Driver

IMG_3332.JPGIMG_3371.jpgIMG_3353.JPG 1986 Porsche 911 Turbo, USA, The ultimate daily driver or show car.

hyperv6
Instructor

Here I my last boosted car. It was a 2008 HRR SS. 

I was never a HHR fan, I hate FWD and not a Turbo 4 fan. That is till I drove the SS. This car right off the dealer lot was a blast. It just flat out ran. The GM Performance Division got the suspension tight and it was so easy to drive stupid fast. 

I had to buy a Auto as I am the only one who drives stick. This means less power with the Turbo engine over the stick. But GM did offer a Tune kit that pushed the power up to nearly 300 HP and 315 ft of Torque. It moved boost from 17 PSI to 23 PSI on pump gas. 

The tune not only added 55 hp but added 1-2 mpg. I saw 25-26 mpg around town and could run 13 sec in the quarter mile yet drive it daily to work. 

The only real negitive was the FWD as it really was limited on traction.  This was the only real issue. I had several times had the traction control kick in at 50 mph and it pop the waste gate. 

This was just one fast fun car to drive and it would shock many as most never had an idea it had a turbo engine. One Mustang guy between lights saw I stayed with him had to ask what have you got? 

I sold it and went back to a truck but I still have a soft spot for this car. 

49EE1522-1E17-4D37-934D-4471108411D9.jpegD95564C5-C012-4858-A272-09A00303D9AB.jpeg2690D9D3-297D-418A-A1EC-98FA6CEAC91F.jpeg

dlanerx7
New Driver

I bought this RX-7 GSL-SE new in 1985.  "Little foreign cars" at the time were a joy to drive, but, unless flogged assertively, they tended to lag when pulling away from a typical city stoplight.  Against the advice of...well, almost everybody, I installed a T-04 turbo kit from Cartech.  The conversion doubled the horsepower, without reducing drivability.  Eventually it became obvious that I could not use the added performance safely on the city/suburban streets in my area, so I took the car autocrossing, and attended a few track days.

Over the years I have continued developing the car with the specific philosophy of being able to drive it on the street without attracting undue attention.  Underneath, I've done lots of stuff to make it a better autocrosser, and to give the turbo set-up more headroom.  I knew I was over the edge of sanity when I stopped thinking about what was practical, and started thinking about what was possible.

In its current form, the car is running the original turbo, with an air/air intercooler.  Engine management is by Electromotive.  Maximum boost is 10psi.  The transmission ratios and rear end have been changed to favor autocrossing needs, but only someone familiar with the cars would identify this GSL-SE as anything but stock.

My one concession to comfort, as opposed to autocrossing, came in the form of some Recaro touring seats I found--dusty and full of cigarette holes--in a garage loft.  I had them refurbished in leather, but did not realize until installing them that they were at least twice the weight of the stock seats.

The car now has 150,000 miles on it--many (as they say) sideways.  The attached photos range from when the car was relatively new, to what it looks like today.

I have done two things in my life that involved leaps of faith against the rational advice of some very smart people.  The first was buying a Lotus Elan as my only car when I got out of college.  The second was putting the turbo on the RX-7.  Both decisions changed my life for the better.  I made new friends (equally crazy).  I learned new skills (autocrossing, and wrenching).  And I learned that even though many of today's cars are darned quick off the showroom floor, driving a "little foreign' car" with unexpected power will always bring a smile to your face.1985 - Trying to learn about Rotary engines1985 - Trying to learn about Rotary enginesNew wheelsNew wheelsBeauty ShotBeauty ShotNot a rocker cover in sightNot a rocker cover in sightComfortable, but very heavyComfortable, but very heavyDash areaDash areaAutocross shotAutocross shot

trymes
Intermediate Driver

505-sunrise.jpgThis is my 1986 Peugeot 505 Turbo sedan, which I purchased a few years back from the original owner in Dallas. It came to me with a failed wastegate actuator, a badly improvised inlet accordion, and a long list of deferred maintenance. I managed to track down a company to rebuild the original actuator after an aftermarket unit failed to perform properly, got her back on the road, and began the process of getting everything ship-shape. Attention was given to the brakes, steering rack boots, and a number of other bits. As is unfortunately common with these cars, though, it soon showed signs of a cracked cylinder head, so it has spent the last few years off the road. Luckily, Ericsson Industries in Connecticut are well-known in the community for repairing these heads and they made short work of it. Then, after I dragged my feet and chickened out, Arlo and his team at AutoSport Import Car Center (the former Peugeot dealer in Burlington, VT) replaced the rings & bearings, bolted it all back together, and generally attended to the car's needs.

This year's mild fall has meant I could enjoy the intoxicating whistle from under the hood before it went away for the winter to avoid salt. Something about that sound just makes you want to mat the pedal so it doesn't stop! I installed the European-spec glass-headlamps a few weeks back, but I'm keeping the sealed-beam units in case I want to swap them back in. This winter I hope to replace the somewhat clashing Jensen radio with a new Blaupunkt Bremen, which should really look the part and work well with modern phones for streaming, etc.

It has a short list of small items that I'll need to attend to (anyone have a rubber seal for the power antenna?), as time goes on, but it's in lovely shape, and never fails to draw a surprising amount of attention. The styling, a result of a collaboration between Peugeot/Pininfarina, is undeniably handsome, and the car has an interesting presence that combines tradition, luxury, and fun. In the end, the interior, exterior, and the character of the '80s turbo drivetrain really work well together to make for a fun, unique experience. I mean, just look at the typeface used on the trunklid badges!

There's air ducting on the underside of the hood to route air to the intercooler, which very early cars did not have. The 505 Turbo Gas (to distinguish from Turbodiesel) N9T engine was actually based on a Simca engine, as opposed to an existing Peugeot unit.There's air ducting on the underside of the hood to route air to the intercooler, which very early cars did not have. The 505 Turbo Gas (to distinguish from Turbodiesel) N9T engine was actually based on a Simca engine, as opposed to an existing Peugeot unit.Seen here with the North American sealed-beam headlights. This square design replaced an earlier four round light one. Considering how important the shape of the lights is to the look of the car, I think these look quite nice (though they could use a polish to remove yellowing).Seen here with the North American sealed-beam headlights. This square design replaced an earlier four round light one. Considering how important the shape of the lights is to the look of the car, I think these look quite nice (though they could use a polish to remove yellowing).The facelifted dash and instrument panel in '86+ cars has a great '80s look and feel, with the all-important boost gauge under the tachometer.The facelifted dash and instrument panel in '86+ cars has a great '80s look and feel, with the all-important boost gauge under the tachometer.One of two different spoilers offered for the 505 Turbo, with the unmistakably '80s badging.One of two different spoilers offered for the 505 Turbo, with the unmistakably '80s badging.No matter how good the original sealed-beam lights look, it's hard to beat these European-spec Marchal glass lamps.No matter how good the original sealed-beam lights look, it's hard to beat these European-spec Marchal glass lamps.505-LF2.jpgA picture from the seller's ad before I bought the car. Unfortunately lots of deferred maintenance lurked behind the shiny, handsome car seen here.A picture from the seller's ad before I bought the car. Unfortunately lots of deferred maintenance lurked behind the shiny, handsome car seen here.505-RF.jpeg

spoom
Technician

Nothing really exciting in the way of back stories. Back in Jan. of 2007 when there was a waiting list and/or "pay over window sticker" for the then new GXP Solstice, my local SE Wisconsin multi-GM dealer got a silver one in stock. Boy meets car, boy loves car, boy marries car. 44kmiles later, still in love with it.Solstice.jpg34rrear.jpgMMSols.jpg  

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Well this is not in a car yet, but that is the final plan. Hoping by next year. Still collecting some parts and making others, but on the home stretch now.

blower.jpg

I didn't think I needed to elaborate, but I guess there are some that may not actually know what this is, since the thread was boosted cars.

This is a GM 4-71 Diesel Blower, with Weber 40DCOE side draft carbs and a BDS (Blower Drive Specialties) Weber to Holly carb Adapter (RARE), with a home made adapter between BDS Adapter and Blower.