Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Julie
Community Manager

Soul-sucking Japanese Appliance Class

0001-18.jpg

Class: Soul-sucking Japanese Appliance

Got a lemon to share? Post a photo of it here and write a few lines about what makes your lemon extra special and deserving of votes.

No lemon? Join us for the spectacle anyway. Vote for your favorite, or rather maybe your least favorite, the most absurd, the most impressively awful lemons simply by liking the posts.

33 REPLIES 33
Sajeev
Community Manager

T-Dogg
New Driver

The_Drexel.jpg

To the untrained eye, it may look like a piece of crap 1978 Toyota Corolla. However, after a trip to the Army/Navy surplus store, some consumption of adult beverages and wreckless use of a set of torches, the world became just a little less crazy with the creation of: The Drexel, Crime Fighting Vehicle

MisfitNate
New Driver

inbound7856073946225232058.jpg

 This is one 300ZX that wants to suck your soul. Post-apocalyptic, angry and with fantastically wide hips, her bite attempts to be as mean as her bark with a V8 from a 1992 Infiniti Q45. Full aluminum custom widebody, a smattering of parts from different Nissan products and custom suspension made of circle track dirt car parts.

TheBuilderini
Pit Crew

Hey Gang, 

This is the latest and greatest miata project we got cooking up for the 24 hours of lemons at the Ridge. This is the maximum downforce miata with active aero. What we used for this project was a combination of (in equal parts) 1/2 metal square tubing, the headlight pop-up motor (go green) and 3 white claws, because pilsners make me want to stuff a coyote v8 under the hood, and coors make me want to cummins swap the 'yata. 

I have a video in this link for you to enjoy. YouTube

Come see us at The Ridge on July 25th! 

Wing Down.pngFully Functional AERO by way of Pop-up headlight motorFully Functional AERO by way of Pop-up headlight motor

Moonbeam71
New Driver

My Muggle Mobile (1984 Honda Acty) was a winner or loser, depending on your point of view,in the Aussie Concours D’Lemons last year.  
At that time it had a brake clamp on the left front brake....this has since been fixed and the interior Hogwartified.

GrumpyOne
Pit Crew

I Like It!
Rosco
Pit Crew

My lemony entry this year is a 1970's (Probably) Isuzu KB ute that sat in a sheep farmers paddock for at least 10 years and judging by the wool attached to it the sheep loved it. The farmer, not so much so I got it for free. 

This one is not only small but also a diesel so I would imagine it is incredibly slow but it is so terrible that I could never get it to go anywhere.  It travelled further in the last year being pushed than driving even though everything is intact and there is no reason that it shouldn't start except that it hates me.

The interior is a mix of spiders, scorpions and snakes but that is just any old car in Australia, trust me you get used to looking for poisonous spiders after the first couple of bites....

As it turns out it is great for storing a roller door and whatever else I couldn't bear to throw out in the tray.

Yep, that's a Lemon.Yep, that's a Lemon.Slowly going back to nature.Slowly going back to nature.The interior was mostly spiders, ants and probably snakes.The interior was mostly spiders, ants and probably snakes.This is he good side...This is he good side...Useful for storing things. Not so good for driving.Useful for storing things. Not so good for driving.

shaneoc91
New Driver

In the early 60's, Mr. Honda wanted a clutchless motorcycle that could be driven with one hand. 

I'm sure that "embarrassingly slow, hard to start in the cold," and "uselessly 6 volt driven" were on the list as well but i didn't read that in the history report. 

I present to you my constantly oil dripping 1967 soul sucking Honda 90. 
The Honda 90 (in its many forms) has largely been said to be the best selling vehicle of all time due to its remarkable longevity, frugal gas mileage, and compact packaging. 
Though you'd wonder why thats the case while you stumble between the semi-automatic gear box as you are given the finger by passing jacked up trucks and the occasional geo metro. 

Never the less, she's small enough to be a moped, yet prone to carburetor clogs enough to be considered a classic motorcycle. 
Even still, you can't help but smile as you toot that adorable horn right back at Mr. Dodge Challenger as he cusses you out for being too slow. 20200709_135253.jpg20200709_135307.jpg20200708_180006.jpg

ConfuciusRacing
Intermediate Driver

AD586558-EAAA-48FD-AEDE-A0DD10D0EC23.jpeg1965 Datsun 1500 fair lady...and faithful companion...GTI recaro seats because the other ones were trashed and the seat acts only reached my shoulder blades...not so good in case of a rear ender..

bblhed
Detailer

For the humble consideration of the judges I submit my 2005 Scion xA

I purchased this car new in September of 2005 and actually even with it being a technical leftover I ordered it because I wanted it in Blue. Being a late build car it has a few interior pieces from a 2006 xA and because all Scions came wired for sound but radio delete and the dealership had run out of 2005 radios I also got a 2006 radio that has a volume knob instead of pushbuttons. Because of the way Scions were sold there were very few factory options, the two I got were the color, and I got mine with a 5 speed manual. Everything besides color, transmission, and side curtain airbags on a Scion was a dealer installed option, I opted for fog lights, the XM radio add on, an arm rest, and "Scion Security" which is just an alarm system because that was the only way I could get keyless entry. I also got the roof rack but the dealers idea of installing that was to toss it into the back seat and tell me to install it myself, that was a $500 option. I also used the leftover parts counter bonus I got from Toyota to buy the spiffy floor mats with the Scion logo on them. For my own personal touch I added some blue cold cathode lights under the dash and seats and with some items from Radio Shack they light up when the doors are opened, or with the flick of a switch when the car is running. I also slapped on some "Racing" pedal covers, in blue of course, that add no power, a set of fuzzy dice that are no longer with the car, and recently a bluetooth to FM converter and phone mount so I can have fake Android Auto in the car.

This car has served me well for almost all of the over 222,000 miles it has on it with few breakdowns. The Scion xA has been on a few vacations, some trips out of state trips to the home center, been pressed into service to haul Girl Scout cookies and related cookie booth items, this resulted in the inside being covered in "Unicorn blood" AKA Glitter, it brought my youngest home from the hospital, but mostly this has been a lone driver commuter car and the lack of wear and tear on everything not in the driver area prove that. I wash it, vacuum it, do the maintenance, and fix the annoying broken stuff, that's it.

I believe that this car best exemplifies the "Soul-sucking Japanese Appliance Class" because it has functioned beyond quite well as an appliance way more than as a car. This car is not now, never has been, and never will be cool, it is a commuter box that can function as a car but that is all it is and all it will ever be until it is melted down and turned into something else. Unfortunately for this metal, it is presently functioning so well as a Scion xA that it will likely continue to be one for quite some time.

Thank you for your consideration.

IMG_20200709_130252.jpgIMG_20200709_130314.jpgIMG_20200709_130327.jpgIMG_20200709_130341.jpgIMG_20200709_130350.jpgIMG_20200709_130423.jpgIMG_20200709_130449.jpgIMG_20200709_130459.jpgIMG_20200709_130543.jpg

huskar
New Driver

When Ferruccio Lamborghini took a list of items he thought could be improved on his Ferrari to Enzo himself, Enzo told him that his cars are perfect and he didn’t want advice from a tractor mechanic on how to make his prancing ponies better.  This entry for the Concours is probably what Enzo thought Lamborghini would do to his beloved red cars.  Part Honda Goldwing, part Mazda Miata, and part Oliver 66, this trike has it all.  This bike has 49 more horsepower than the original tractor the sheet metal used to sit on, pushing the panels down the interstate faster than their designers ever imagined they would go. 

The 1954 Oliver 66 had been sitting behind the family farm for years axle deep in mud.  Two second generation Honda Goldwings were purchased, buy one get one free, and included a free trailer to get them off the owner’s property.  The front assembly was graftedand  narrowed from a NA Miata giving the bike large front disc brakes, wide front wheels, and comfy suspension.  It even has something for German car lovers with a VW 34 carburetor.   Other accents on the bike include windmill blade fenders with fence post supports, leather belt with adjustable plier holster (every motorcycle needs a repair kit), exhaust stack flappers, wide ass tractor seats, and CO-OP white battery.  With this motorcycle you can ride in style on the black top or the red dirt roads.

The Oliver Trike is a frequent entry in local shows and recently won the prestigious Wednesday-Thursday-Friday (WTF) award at the Dwight Nebraska Car, Bike, and Tractor Show.

Mostly Japanese so I suppose it goes in here

IMG-0919.JPGIMG-0916.JPGIMG-0915.JPGIMG-0914.JPGIMG-0913.JPGIMG-0911.JPGIMG-0910.JPG

Stangman4ever
New Driver

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CBQWfLeZKsA1d1d57 

Our 1977 Celica Lemons race car, it's slow but fun!

kidsplusdog
Pit Crew

SANY2191.JPG

 Good enough for Ronald Reagan's ranch, good enough for me.

SANY2153.JPG

SANY2154.JPG

Eric_H
New Driver

This is my 1990 Nissan Axxess.  It's an extremely rare version with a manual transmission and all wheel drive.

Axxess1.jpegIt's been a long time since I've washed it.

RogerRamjet
Pit Crew

Wretched Axxess

Valeriehansen
New Driver

inbound876564939115483628.jpg

Valeriehansen
New Driver

inbound876564939115483628.jpg

 mine is the white previa supervan. Think family sized Ferrari.  Mid engine supercharged awd nearly 50/50 weight distribution. Comeing to a rallycross near you. Be afraid.

Brad
Hagerty Employee

Enjoy the glory of the Yakuza ready 1992 Toyota Century! It's had a lot of adventures- including participating in Concours d'Lemons at Monterey Car Week and Concours of America in Michigan. After thousands of miles of road trips and hard touring, it's ready for some attention. But it's still one of the cheapest ways to make an entrance if you love Japanese style, lots of '90's buttons, and a cushy right hand drive experience!

Monterey, CA August 2017- Best in Class after a 3000 mile drive from Maryland!Monterey, CA August 2017- Best in Class after a 3000 mile drive from Maryland!

TheEightBitLink
New Driver

For your consideration: what you get when you buy an early 2000s-era Subaru Legacy for $100 in non-running condition. Turns out, just adding a battery and a spark plug, you too can experience the looming threat of blown headgaskets, while leaving a rustcrumb trail everywhere you go!IMG_7861.jpgIMG_7862.jpgIMG_7863.jpgIMG_7864.jpg

Track_Baron_94
New Driver

I have never built a car, worked on one, or even had knowledge of the basics before tackling this project. I decided one day I wanted to race a car with a group of friends so what better option than to buy a mazda miata. However, this Miata did not look like this when I bought it. It may not look beautiful, it may not be fast, it may not even be the best handling on track, however, it is my pure love enjoy encapsulated in over 2000 of work. I hope that someone will enjoy it as much as I do through these pictures. Hopefully this baby will stand out enough to win an award! 

Details: 

-1993 Mazda miata chassis ( bought without anything assembled. Engine was in a box (UNLABELED haha!!!!) )

-1995 mazda miata engine. 

- Cheap Coilovers

-1995 breaks 

-custom wiring harness I built from stock

-extra blood and sweat can be found in every inch of car

Truly Butt Turible 

miata.jpgScreenshot_20200224-205846_Gallery.jpg20200626_180146.jpg

Az-1
New Driver

D5A00DEF-374A-4388-A36B-8E194DD669E3.jpeg

92 Autozam AZ-1 tiny door windows, huge greenhouse to melt and suck the soul right out of you.  So soul sucking, Mazda could only sell 4500 of them before giving up.  But will make your soulless self grin like a madman if you actually can fit and drive one. 

CPD
New Driver

This is my first car, a 2000 Toyota Rav4. She's relegated to being just a farm and camping beater now, especially since the exhaust pipe rusted off and the front sub frame cracked. But that said I still love the old girl, even if it doesn't show as much anymore. It's slow, loud, handles like a brick on a slab of butter, but she'll go through two feet of snow, up muddy hills, and glides over gravel like a dream. Sure you have to floor it to get it to accelerate to 25 mph, and sure she's tired, old, and worn out, but she's the best car on the planet in my book.

https://youtu.be/jSv75eOQyeE

1230171210b.jpg

Biscayne
New Driver

Up for your consideration is my 1979 Mazda RX-7. This car was a Pennsylvania native until about 12 years ago, when the original owner moved to North Carolina and promptly parked the car in a field, where it sat having its soul sucked out for the duration.  I purchased the car from said field, got it running, and took it on the 2020 Retreat From Moscow Lemons Rally.

Mechanically, the car is working perfectly, and is bone stock, with the original unmolested 12a rotary engine never having been out of the car. The body and interior are as they were when I removed it from the field, that is to say, rusty and sun bleached.  But hey, she still braps for days, and doesn't overheat (much), so what more could you ask for?

Thank youHolly Front Corner.jpgPop-up headlights FTW!Pop-up headlights FTW!Interior is very sun damaged, the original color for the lower dash and center console was red (not grey)Interior is very sun damaged, the original color for the lower dash and center console was red (not grey)Holly Air Cleaner.jpgFrom this picture, you almost cant see how terribly rusty it is.From this picture, you almost cant see how terribly rusty it is.This is probably the worst view of the carThis is probably the worst view of the carOriginal "Waffle" WheelsOriginal "Waffle" WheelsHolly Rotor Housing.jpg

Biscayne
New Driver

BJ Driver Side.jpgBJ Pass Rear.jpgBJ POPUPS!.jpg

Named after a security guard in a post-apocalyptic crossover, my little Miata has earned her cutie mark. Every part of the brake system has been replaced except for the pedal and lines, she's gotten a new top, has been rear ended (hence the colorful panels at the back), and isn't entirely straight, all just like her fictional counterpart. 

Also, popup headlights for the win.

Rosco
Pit Crew

Here is one that I'm fairly sure our US friends will not have seen before that comes from the land of the rising sun.

This is my 1974 Datsun 260C wagon, known in Japan as a Cedric but in Australia as the 260C because, as legend has it, the Australian market though 'Cedric' was a bit weird. I tend to agree, Cedric sounds like that weird uncle who gets handsy at Christmas and much like that uncle this car complains a lot.

Used as a farm car from nearly new, it sat in a barn for about 10 years before I picked it up and as evidenced by the steel girders on the front subframe it was used to drive over fences out in the Australian wilds.

It is a fantastic lemon with an underpowered 2.6L (L-series) engine that only has one very asthmatic carburettor which is very unlike its stablemate the 260Z with twin SU's. The rear axle is an agricultural live axle that really gets confused on dirt roads and starts to rock like we're on the high seas, combined with double wish bone front and it's a soft, floaty ride.

Lastly, and unfortunately, I don't have a good photo of either of these feature but there are two redeeming features; firstly the carbon monoxide seats in the rear that are for midgets and definitely not for full-grown adults, but it does officially make it a 7 seater which was pretty cool for 1974 from Japan. The second redeeming feature is the rear passenger side window (left side for those playing along at home) that has a keyhole that when a key is inserted and turns, activates the ancient electric motor and brings the window down. This window was for curb side deliveries and I think inspired by something like the Chev Caprice with the rear electric tail gate, only smaller and not as useful.

Here she is in all her glory! The colour is original but the dents are hard won over years of use out on the farm: 

Also, note it has a badge on the back that says 'Wagon'... incase there was any confusion...

She looks good in this photo...She looks good in this photo...There's the key hole, just randomly placed in the rear guard.There's the key hole, just randomly placed in the rear guard.Needlessly complex rear treatment.Needlessly complex rear treatment.Also a needlessly complex grill, but it was the 70's. You can see the steel girder that (with an extension) was used to push over fences, stumps, cows...Also a needlessly complex grill, but it was the 70's. You can see the steel girder that (with an extension) was used to push over fences, stumps, cows...

bellett64
New Driver

20190928_094833.jpg41 - Mount Compass - Victor Harbor Rd cnr Yundi Rd - Bellett break down - Ratter Bellett about to be flat-bedded home.jpg036 - Isuzu Bellett Ratter.JPGIsuzu Bellett RatBellett - 01.JPG

Here's my 1967 Isuzu Bellett 1500 sedan. It came free with an ultra rare 1966 PR90 Bellett GT shell and several crates of grotty, greasy parts. It sat in my front yard for a few months, destined to be broken down into parts; it has a big block 1600cc Chev LUV motor after all (NB: it's a bolt-in swap as the LUV is also an Isuzu product).

However, a sudden need for a second car in the family saw me press it into service. It had sat in a guy's backyard for about a decade, heating up so much in the South Australian summer sun that a pen in the door pocket had melted into a banana-shape. Naturally, it would need a full going over, so I pumped up the tyres and drove it up the street. Aside from the fact a loose baffle kept blocking the exhaust and all four tyres de-beaded, it seemed ok.

One new exhaust and four spare tyres later (I hesitate to say 'new'), and it became my daily driver. I drove it to work, as did my now late wife from time to time, her on-street parking position resulting it in appearing in early Google Streetview images of the area. I was certain the police would take one look at the paint and the rust and give me the old "Yeah, nah," (which in Australia means 'no') and issue it with a defect, but here we are some 13 years later....and it's still going strong.

The paint brings more attention that a restored Mustang (that's not hard), with pin-up girls expertly etched into the flaking paint, appearing as if by religious miracle. The Japanese on the side says "Ginza Province Isuzu Wreckers" after whacking that through Google Translate, then messing with the result in MS WordArt. I had the text created in vinyl, stuck it on, peeled it off again and here's the result.

Aside from the G161 OHV Florian/LUV motor, modifications include a set of rear Bellett springs in the front (an age-old trick to reduce the Bellett's towering-yet-standard front-end height) and a set of 14" Florian wheels wearing original hubbies, although it's worn a few different wheels over the years at the pictures will attest.

It's the best driving car I've got; it just goes and goes, whips traffic, chops snoozy drivers at the lights and the swing-axle independent rear end means it handles like a sports car right up to the point that it doesn't.

I smile every time I drive it, I love it like a child and will be sad when I finally get the old ''Yeah, nah."

BlackAndGreen
New Driver

Does a soul sucking appliance get a soul if it gets 65 MPG? Does black paint give it the soul of a drift car? Do wheel well fairings make it a spaceship?

https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26339&stc=1&d=1562515838

PatGuzowski
Pit Crew

4B1CB878-9A38-401B-B8E9-66B32E8C09CC.jpeg

DA287CF6-4A5F-45D1-BD75-2C205A95796D.jpeg

4F6FB166-8A80-4A2A-B61C-4B646280FA48.jpeg

1990 Q45.  Creampuff 74K mile with period correct 16” BBS.  Rear muffler delete, custom hail damage to all flat surfaces leading to the $1000 purchase price.  Nobody knows what it is, but it sure does sound good.  

JeffS77
New Driver

My soul sucking appliance white 9th Gen Corolla. 1" lift, 1" wheel spacers, 205/70/15 tires, universal mud flaps, 2" trimmed front fenders with fender flares and "offroad" lights..ghetto rally spec edition

Fueled by Monster Energy, Oreilly Auto Parts, Coors Light and Harbor Freight 

inbound3083136503000458149.jpg

inbound7357577799590956546.jpg

inbound2555647560596050909.jpg

JeffS77
New Driver

One more for your consideration 

My Democross ( think dirt road course no rules full contact racing) Toyota FX16 GTS.. Not one piece of straight metal, screaming 4AGE Honda Prelude beating power, steel plated and .120 tube reinforced front end. Radiator relocated to back seat area. Main event winning machine.

FB_IMG_1595267312342.jpg

FB_IMG_1595267375226.jpg

FB_IMG_1595267331297.jpg

FB_IMG_1595267365268.jpg

FB_IMG_1595268108144.jpg

Screenshot_20200720-110906.png

maschinenbau
New Driver

How about Datsaniti (Dat-SAN-iti) the '80 Datsun 210 with most of an Infiniti G35 welded to it. Built for the Grassroots $2000 Challenge.

- 3.5 VQ35 V6

- Autotragic

- Jeep wheels

- Rain gutter bumpers

- Filing cabinet widebody

- Sketchy nitrous

- and so much more

1572218315_img_20191025_122322237_hdr_mmthumb1572222239_img_20191026_103134627_hdr_mmthumb1575041923_img_20191129_100432122_hdr_mmthumb5Yg8Rgal1551813252_arscca_pts2_0363_mmthumb

MaJo
New Driver

a1.JPG50781456_2259534190961013_8916233659887910912_n.jpgDSC_0002 (2).JPGHow rare is the 1st gen Mazda 626 coupe?  There's maybe a dozen or so left in the US I reckon.  When this '81 626 with 252,000 miles appeared for sale on Craigslist in Portland last year, I hopped on a plane with $600 in my pocket and bought it sight unseen.  Drove it 3,600 miles back to Ohio the long way down the Pacific coast, through Napa Valley and eventually the desert Southwest.  Even though I kept it under 78mph the whole trip, things broke along the way, and it refused to start a couple times, but six days later I was home.  Of course we had to take it to the dragstrip once it warmed up a bit -- 20.6 seconds in the 1/4 mile!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BocL69qFjAQ

1/4 mile run in a stock 256,000 mile 1981 Mazda 626, at Norwalk Raceway, May 10, 2019. It appears to be a little tired. We've made a wise choice for Burnt ...
Roadhawg
New Driver

Isuzu Vehicross.  A 1993 Toyota Auto Show Concept Car winner that came into production (1999 to 2001), with very few changes.  Marketed in conjunction with their sponsorship of the Ironman Triathlon.  Just over 5000 total built with 4000 sent to USA.

My entry:  All stock

1999 Ironman Edition

215 HP DOHC V-6 / 4 spd auto

Torque On Demand 4wd

Recaro seats

Torsion bar front suspension 

4 link rear suspension 

External reservoir shocks

3" lift

Spare tire inside rear door

PS, PB, A/C, CC

$30,000 msrp

The term PUV (Performance Utility Vehicle) was coined to describe this car that was handbuilt by an elite team of Isuzu engineers.  Multiple rally winner.

I remember seeing a Proton Yellow VX when they first arrived and noted how unusual they looked.  Can't remember seeing another until a I bought this one off craigslist.

Luckily, there is a small group of enthusiasts who share info and parts unique to the VX.

Had planned to bring it to Seaside, this summer.   

See you next year !

inbound6502588230396891930.jpg

inbound6559870590987959134.jpg