cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Rust Belt American Junk - Other Class

Pit Crew

Apologies if I am not getting this whole Concours de Lemons thing right but I have an old but generally unloved car, a 1922 Essex! Essex was the cheap car make of Hudson. Wonderful, unique and significant yet largely forgotten and worthless for a car of its era. 179 cubic inch "F head" 4 cylinder with huge valves, one in the head and one in the block. Roller cam followers too! With 55 horsepower vs 21 for a Model T and 40 for a Model A it was a rocket for its day and at one point (1923) it held the record for Pike's Peak! However despite being made in large numbers very, very few are left today and while they are great cars prices are very low, maybe $12,000 for the nicest one out there and as little as $5000 will get you a running example with complete non-running cars going for as little as $2k. We've had this one since 1971 and despite little being done to it it still runs and drives well. However as you can see it needs a few things, most notably new window regulators and a new side window.

IMG_0643.jpeg

IMG_0649.jpeg

IMG_1947.JPG

IMG_1948.JPG

IMG_1951.JPG

IMG_0647.jpeg

Pit Crew

1951 Willy's , so much rust, it's only getting brakes and tires. And shocks, master cylinder, seat cushions, headlight, front bumper, ignition key, maybe a windshield.

IMG-20180802-WA0003.jpeg

SANY2788.JPG

Highlighted

Pit Crew

You should make it into a Jeep Surrey tribute!

Highlighted

Pit Crew

CHEATUR

(@ Jay, of course)

Highlighted

New Driver

Ryan James @_ryanjames Enters his 1970 PorscheTato 917.  This car started life as a Laser 917, but over time morphed into a Potato.  “The interior captivates the essence of conversion van.”  Notes Donald Osborne.  “The PorscheTato scores 100 on the glycemic index!” Says Dr. Oz. Overall Weight was dramatically reduced by removing the engine.  Other engineering breakthroughs included an extremely high safety rating due to lack of any possible motion.  Most recent upgrade was improvement of the climate control system, which was achieved by simply by removing the driver side window.  While I no longer drive the car, it is my vehicle of choice for a night of indulgence with a bag of Granny Goose Hawaiian style chips. The PorscheTato is the car many dream of, but never achieve, a car destined of iconic virtue, and carbohydrate intrigue. 

5DECDBD1-9D71-422A-9714-ED086C4296EB.jpeg

Tags (1)
Highlighted

Pit Crew
Granny Goose Hawaiian Style Potato Chips would be a pretty good bribe for the judges. Just sayin’.
Highlighted
Moved:

Community Manager
Highlighted

New Driver

Say hello once again to the SCM Bradley GT, making it's debut at Concours d'Lemons. While this car has inexplicably been featured in multiple articles in Sports Car Market Magazine (and still bears the decals and battle scars from  the cross country marathon that they subjected themselves to in 2017), was the star of an article about budget gullwings on the Hagerty site before and is still the only Bradley to ever be sold on BaT this marks the first time that it will compete in the ultimate contest to take home its rightful title of "King of the Scrapheap". Powered by an air-cooled 1600cc VW engine, this beautifully horrific fiberglass piece of automotive history resembles an exotic go-kart designed by a 10-year old boy, both in looks and performance. Fortunately for both of us, that's just enough to keep me parading it around town. The most frequent comment I receive is "I've seen a few of these in my day, but never moving down the street!"

5D2BF16D-6D36-459F-89DD-7C0D3A6072AB.jpeg

2774777A-BFAE-4ABE-B00D-85B61EA08DF6.jpeg

0BCFDFBC-90F5-46EB-9E02-F1C4F954628F.jpeg

F17A7444-B3A6-458B-A353-99CFB9360FA4.jpeg

Highlighted

New Driver

20200718_183857.jpg

This is my 1977 Checker Taxicab. It features a 250 Chevrolet engine and TH400 transmission, roof light and jump seats. It has approximately 330,000 miles and most of the original rust. It worked as a taxi for its first 20 years, then was painted Surge Soda green by Coca-Cola.

20200719_164833.jpg20200719_164928.jpg20200718_183916.jpg20200719_165018.jpg

Highlighted

New Driver

OK, OK - some very bad cars here to be sure and congrats to all the clearly disturbed owners who have brought them to this cyber cesspool, but finally as this pointless contest lurches towards its finale it’s time to go one step further, from the awful and the terrible into the realm of the truly horrible and of course I’m talking about the 2018 Concours d’Lemons Monterey Worst of Show winner (loser?) the fabulous 1977 Gremalibur.

ZfCdeY3ISrKXa0kOK4OKiQ_thumb_5a9f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5a9e.jpg

S9%Tqrl5QYGfyi91HnYT5A_thumb_5a0b.jpg

gold plated (?) grille

IMG_4547.JPG

mascot with custom touches: 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5a0f.jpg

solar powered plastic garden taillights: 

cmNFGw2JRjCsfq8ANY7wNQ_thumb_5ada.jpg

"Make America Gremlin Again" 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5a9d.jpg

Since her triumph in 2018 this beauty has been resting on her laurels under a disintegrating tarp outside our shop in Emeryville, but she fired right up today for a harrowing drive around the block - check out the walk around and driving video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sKbKKqDDzg

and in case you’ve missed it here it is in all its glory at the awards presentation in 2018:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7jtguMiWmk

My name is Jim Callahan and thanks for your consideration. Just to make things clear I am not solely responsible for the discovery and presentation of this abomination, equally responsible is Asher Schlusselberg who is half owner and deserves half of the praise (scorn) and honor (disgust) for bringing this car into the spotlight. Here’s picture of him with another Lemons contender so if you should run into him you can thank (blame) him.

A3U9DbumSyq4%3BRENyrRg_thumb_689c.jpg

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Take a ride in the worst car ever made - the fabulous 1977 Gremalibur