cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CCV
New Driver

How to value a very rare but not collectable car

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I am at my wits end.  In 2017 I bought a new 2016 base f-type convertible with a manual.  I had just won the largest case of my life and could finally afford a toy.  I had always been fascinated with British sports cars as a kid and the dealer was giving the manual away because nobody wanted it.  To my mind while overweight, the F-Type would be the last thing remotely like a British sports care ever  made.  It had the elements: 1) roadster, 2) very quick but not stupid fast, 3) rwd with the engine in front, 4) can be driven entirely by human with a switch, 5) manual transmission, 6) eccentric disasters (ie, the gps map) and 6) Gloriously beautiful.

I wrecked the thing when my daily driver was in the shop and I was just out of the hospital and probably shouldn't have been driving at all.  Thank God it was a single car accident. It had 6900 miles and I started hearing murmurs of collectable here and there.  My research shows that there were no more than 500 of any year and likely less than 200 for 2016 that were sold with a manual.  The automatics sold in the low thousands per year.

There are NO comparable sales that I can locate nor can  my insurer.  The insurer is taking automatics and deducting for the manual.  How can I determine what the value of the car is.  I talked to a guy who sold a runout of the same car for very large premium over the automatics and he told me that it was sold to the second guy that called and that he bought it sight unseen.  He listed it on Autotrader and pulled down the ad as fast as he could, but the ad was still findable be persistent googlers and he was getting four and five calls a day on his cell. 

I don't think that I can replace the car, but how do I value it?

4 REPLIES 4
Darold
Hagerty Employee

Hey there @CCV ! That can be a tough situation indeed. Valuing something that has no comparables can be extremely difficult. A lot of times you have to dig in and do some homework to make your case for the value. I was able to find one for sale, although Im not sure how close you are in relation. I will send you a PM with more info 

hyperv6
Gearhead

If all you are looking for is a value for insurance it is best to get it appraised. 

An appraiser can find comps and also values of most any car and set a fair value. 

Note appraisals are just that. Your car on the market and depending where and who may see it can affect value. It just takes two bidders to drive up the price of anything or one bidder to get a bargain. 

CCV
New Driver

I really want to replace the car.  But it seems that at least one other person thinks that this car has a potential to be valuable someday given the experience of the private seller with the 11k excellent car.  I guess I would be in a two bidder situation.  There must be some way to simulate that.  Regardless, I looked for an “appraiser” on the  internet, and left messages with three folks.  One guy was out of business, the second guy does only super high end stuff and the third guy is a retired adjuster who somehow has access to the same computer program that the insurance adjuster has and was going to plug the vin into it and spit out a value.  He was going to expand the geographic search.  That’s it.  Do you know somebody who would be an expert witness type and make the long complex argument for the car?  

CCV
New Driver

This is getting confused.  The runout is the car that sold like a regular car.  The private seller had a car that was only inferior to mine in that it was driven in winter a little and had 11k miles.  Mine is a desert car with 6900.  He should have auctioned the thing, but just put it on autotrader and got a intense interest and a wire transfer for a number way way over what an ordinary used car valuation methodology would predict.  It was only 3% less than the sticker.