cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sajeev
Community Manager

ENGINE WEEK: Best Pontiac for celebrating 4/28?

We’re having engine week at Hagerty, and for 4/28 we want to talk about your favorite Pontiac vehicle with a 428 cid V8 under the hood! 

These were only made for 3 years (1967-69) so I'd go for 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ.  How about you? 

9 REPLIES 9
Greg_I
Detailer

@Sajeev, I couldn't agree more. The 69 Grand Prix SJ would be my pick. My 69 with a 400 is a potent car, so I would imagine the SJ to be a rocket. Royal Pontiac also did at least one conversion on a 68 GTO, which would be a riot.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0117-269530/1968-pontiac-royal-bobcat-gto/

Sajeev
Community Manager

Wow, I had no idea about the Royal Bobcat. Which is great because you hear about Yenko Chevys all the time, but its great to see Pontiac dealers had the same idea!

purepontiac
New Driver

How about a dealer installed and Bobcat prepped 428 H.O. in a 1969 GTO by Royal Pontiac ? Maybe they could have installed a set of Ram Air IV heads on it . 

Sajeev
Community Manager

Yes!  And Royal Pontiac made some amazing muscle cars: https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/royal-pontiac/.  

DUB6
Instructor

If I send in my $3, do you think they'd still send me a decal?  😄

DUB6
Instructor

pontiac wheel.jpg

One of our daughters made me some decals for the car!

gator765
Pit Crew

That looks great!

DUB6
Instructor

She has some kind of fancy machine called a Cricket, which is sort of a printer/die-cutter for arts and crafts.  She uses it mostly for making cake decorations, but she bought some decal material and ran me some of these Pontiac decals and also some different ones for my mini-bike, but they involve bastardizing a trademarked logo from another company (it's an inside family joke), so I'm not going to publish a pic of them - might get sued!  🤐

hyperv6
Instructor

We would run a number of 428 engines over the years. We would pop in a Ram Air IV cam and run the with Tri Powers . The problem was mostly getting traction as Torque was tough on a stock set up on the suspensions. Even with that 13’s were easy and will a little work 12’s in the 1/4 mile would come. 

The lessons we learned was timing on Cast pistons. Too much advance and you would break a ring land in at least two pistons. It never hurt the block but once we rand 14 flat on 6 cylinders and a 3:08 gear through the mufflers and stock turbo 400. 

We did have a 69 428 we played with and my buddy drive it to the king of the hill trophy at Dragway 42 in Ohio with nearly 150,000 miles. 

The 428 was a great engine just a shame they are so difficult to find anymore. My buddy would buy old large Bonnies and GP’s to swap out the engine for a 326 to keep the prized engines and still resell the cars.