cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tripled
Pit Crew

Suspension set up

I would really like Jason Cammisa or one of the other experts to talk about street car suspension set-up.  I recently purchased a 2005 BMW 330Ci, which I am restoring/ updating for more spirited driving and BMW DE's.  I would like some expert advice on what to do to improve the handling of this car to make it a little more neutral/ less abusive of its front tires when using it at the track or an autocross.  Thanks!  Doug

4 REPLIES 4
JimR
Instructor

Well, that seems to be a $64,000 question, but I’d be interested in reading that response too for my car. A lot of variables I think....what’s the track to street driving ratio, are you using R compounds for track and HPS off-track, and in what size(s).  Car type, suspension type, and tolerance level for harsher-than-stock ride combined with the state of local roads.

I struggle with the effects of slightly more aggressive negative camber on directional tires too. Subscribed. 

Jack_Hagerty

Former E46 track rat and SCCA autocrosser here. The easiest and simplest choice is to swap out to the full Spec E46 suspension kit: https://www.bimmerworld.com/SpecE46/SpecE46-Suspension-Core-Kit.html

along with a square tire setup in 255/40/17. 

If you do this, however, you will depart the stock/street autocross classes with the proverbial quickness. How concerned are you about being competitive, autocross-wise?

JimR
Instructor

Out of Street-Prepared too?

Jack_Hagerty

Oh no, you're fine for SP, but you won't be Nationals competitive, not with road course valving.  Locally you should be fine.

Doing a little research on this, I'm surprised how many people are driving the Spec E46 suspension on the street. Supposedly it's alright, particularly with a little ride height dialed in.