cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Pontiac firebird 1988 TH700

Pit Crew

Hi everybody,
I would like to ask you a question, please.
I have Pontiac Firebird 305 V8, year of made 1988. There was an original double tact injection, but all of operation units were burnt by ex-owner so we had to mount 4 bbl Edelbrock, a tunnel ram and a classic ignition. This changes caused that transmission TH 700 shifted by 2500 rpm stabilly and it didn’t downshift.
Do you have any ideas how to remove solenoids, etc.?
Any kit or anything like that?
I need it to work on vacuum.
Thank you very much for you help 🙂

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: Pontiac firebird 1988 TH700

Community Manager

It sounds like you will need to add a kickdown cable and bracket, did you add that to the carburetor?  Here is an example of the kickdown bracket needed for a carburetor: https://www.amazon.com/Holley-20-121-Carburetor-Kickdown-Bracket/dp/B000CMDVA2 

Highlighted

Pit Crew
yes, I have a kick down connected. Rather, it is the overall control of the transmission. Another brain without a solenoid.
sorry ambiguity, google translator ...
Highlighted

Community Manager

Not a problem, I have a feeling that your TV (throttle valve) cable is out of adjustment.  Get this fixed immediately, as the TV cable controls line pressure and you can destroy your transmission with this being out of adjustment. 

More info here: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1212-whats-needed-to-install-a-700-r4-4l60e-trans-carbureted-35....  

Highlighted

Pit Crew
Oh, so connect the TV cable correctly and buy this computer instead of the control unit and connect it to the transmission, if I understand correctly.
And where can you buy it? I can't find him anywhere ...
Highlighted

Detailer
Highlighted

Community Manager

That is awesome, thank you for your help! 

Instructor

Another option, and I swear by these, is the constant pressure valve body. In layman's terms, it supplies your trans. with a constant line pressure instead of letting the T.V. cable change that pressure under differing throttle inputs. you T.V. cable will become a kickdown cable. Now you won't risk burning up your trans if the cable is a tad out. It will just have differing kickdown points. 

T.C.I makes them and they are available from Jeg's, Summit Racing, and pretty much any other retailer that carries T.C.I products. You're looking at about 2-3 hrs to install if you'r not experienced at changing out a valve body.