cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heysteveh
New Driver

Newbie question on Hagerty's "condition ratings"

How do paint chips or road rash affect value on classic cars?  Would a car with rock chips on the front grill/bumper and/or lower hood area cause the car to be classified as "excellent", "good" or "fair"?  As a point of reference, here is a link to a car currently up for auction on Bring a Trailer:  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2009-pontiac-soltice-gxp-coupe-6/

in photo #24 and #27 of the lower front hood and bumper area you see what appears to be rock chips in the paint.  Using this particular car as an example, where would this car fall in the Hagerty "condition ratings":  "excellent", "good", or "fair"?  And how much of an affect do the rock chips have on the rating?  I will be looking at purchasing Pontiac Solstice GXP coupes or convertibles, and I am wondering how to determine value when road rash and/or rock chips in the paint are present.  I am not interested in the individual car listed above, just using it as an example as I look at others like it.

1 REPLY 1
jwiley
Hagerty Employee

The condition ratings are defined here 

https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/Classifications-and-Conditions

In rating vehicles, we will rate it condition 1, 2, 3, 4, etc., and then sometimes decide if the vehicle is a little better or worse than usual and assign a condition 3+ or 3- rating.

In the case of this Pontiac Solstice GXP, while there is some road rash at the front, the miles are low. The condition 3 definition with emphasis added seems most applicable:

#3 vehicles could possess some, but not all of the issues of a #4 vehicle, but they will be balanced by other factors such as a fresh paint job or a new, correct interior where applicable. #3 vehicles drive and run well, but might have some incorrect parts. These vehicles are not used for daily transportation but are ready for a long tour without excuses, and the casual passerby will not find any visual flaws. "Good" is the one word description of a #3 vehicle.