cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Ford Bronco Pre-Production (1965)

New Driver

Help! I need a replacement cylinder head for my 1966 Ford Bronco. The engine was built in 1965 so I have a pre-production Ford. The Cylinder I need is a 170 CID head; Casting No. C6DE-6090-B.

Can anyone help me?

Maggie

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Ford Bronco Pre-Production (1965)

Community Manager

According to the third letter in that part number "D" you should be able to procure the exact replacement head from a Ford Falcon, which would make your search criteria a little less specific. And if the Bronco and Falcon use it, I bet you will find it on Mustangs too.  You will have to search junkyards, ask engine builders, pop that number into eBay on a regular basis, check with the local Mustang Club of America chapter, and maybe just ask anyone with a vintage Ford in your area if they have any leads on a replacement head. 

If you don't HAVE to have the original head, any I-6 head from a 1960s or 1970s Ford Car (i.e. not the big six from the trucks) will interchange. 

Highlighted

New Driver
Thank you!
Highlighted

Instructor

If you're having trouble finding the exact casting number, one from a 140, 250, or 200 should work. The 49 at he end of the casting number, if my memory is correct, is the finishing number. Don't take that as gospel.

The later model sixes should share the same bolt pattern. The one thing I would pay attention to is combustion chamber size as the later the model head, the greater chance of having a larger combustion chamber which as you probably already know, will drop your compression ratio and you WILL not make as much power unless you have the head milled, which you should do with a used head anyhow if you want a good seal.