cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark2884
Pit Crew

Starter short

Have a 1968 307 Chev. Cu In in my 1931 Ford.  Have developed a problem while starting.  Have changed the starter with same difference.  Problem is that I have to jump the starter solenoid the first time to get it to start at the key, after the first time, it starts fine.  Any help?

9 REPLIES 9
Sajeev
Community Manager

Sounds like a classic case of a solenoid starting to fail. I would replace it now, before it fails entirely. 

Mark2884
Pit Crew

On my 3rd starter solenoid chev high torque combo.

Mark

Sajeev
Community Manager

Make sure the wiring from the battery to the solenoid (and to the starter, if applicable) is beefy enough to feed the starter! It should be 4-gauge for many applications. 

Mark2884
Pit Crew

Battery is in the trunk with a 4-gauge wire to stater.

TG
Gearhead

I have been fighting a similar issue with my '65 Impala and strongly suspect it is high resistance contacts in the key switch. I haven't gotten around to actually changing it yet as body work is currently top item on the menu, but I would consider swapping that out. Also make sure you have good ground straps with good clean connections between motor, body, and frame

TG
Gearhead

Just to ask an important clarifying question - you aren't still running a 6 volt battery in that combo are you?

Mark2884
Pit Crew

No.  12 volt drycell

Mark2884
Pit Crew

I am thinking that also.  The steering column is out of an Olds cutlas.

JustAl
Intermediate Driver

Inspect the switch. TBH the contacts may be bad or you may have a dying spade connector.