cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stan45
New Driver

1934 Dodge Door Glass Removal

My current project is a 1934 Dodge pick-up. Before I can get it back on the road, I need to replace the plate glass with safety glass. However, I don’t know how to remove the door glass. There doesn’t appear to be any way to disconnect the window regulator from the channel mounted to the bottom of the glass. I have checked the internet, and other sources, but I can't find any information on how to remove door glass from an early Dodge. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2 REPLIES 2
TG
Technician

I don't know your vehicle specifically, but in many cases from working on semi's from the 60s through the 90s, the regulator assembly and door glass has to come out as one unit. This is generally accomplished by removing all of the upper door trim including the vent window (which usually serves as the front window track), then pulling the entire assembly out through a removable door panel on the inside of the door. Hope this helps

KacyS
Hagerty Employee

Stan45,

As part of the Ask Hagerty expert service, I would have to agree that locating a window mechanism diagram for this vintage of Dodge is a bit tricky. 

Similar to what TG mentioned and as I'm sure you are aware, you will need to remove any door panels or trim that restricts access to the interior mechanicals. Once the interior has been removed, you will need to check to see if there is a stop that will need to be removed first in order to allow the door channel to move freely. It is my understanding that you should be able to remove the glass along with the lower channel from the regulator; which would still be attached to your door. 

I found the following YouTube video to be helpful in understanding how these door mechanisms work, even though the video is showing a Ford pickup instead of a Dodge. 

Here is a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdcN-ypFNBc

If we can be of any further assistance, please feel free to reach back out to us at askhagerty@hagerty.com . Thank you for driving with Hagerty!

Best,

Kacy S. 

This video will give you some guidance removing and installing both glass and felt on your 1930's Ford. If I you have tips after completing yours, please le...